The Old Penny Engine Railway near Eckington

Paolo Coopio

A few weeks ago I investigated what remained of the Penny Engine Railway. A long gone colliery line that ran from Renishaw into the heart of Eckington Woods.

This was part of the old Plumbley colliery collection of shafts that the locals might recognise as the Seldom Seen Engine House. 

Lysanderix

As a sometime Eckingtonian I ( and my dog)often explored the whole of Moss  Valley. The  whole area is one of early industrialisation...Penny Engine line, I understand, eventually met up with the  mainline....but I never found the actual site.

Paolo Coopio
4 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

As a sometime Eckingtonian I ( and my dog)often explored the whole of Moss  Valley. The  whole area is one of early industrialisation...Penny Engine line, I understand, eventually met up with the  mainline....but I never found the actual site.

Yeah there's not really any obvious evidence left now. But it met the main line just north of the bridge over the railway next to the golf club. 

Hopman
5 hours ago, Paolo Coopio said:

Yeah there's not really any obvious evidence left now. But it met the main line just north of the bridge over the railway next to the golf club. 

And just south of the bridge over the River Rother. Take a look at the National Library of Scotland's Georeferenced maps.

• Thanks 1