The Universal British Directory 1792-8 Entry for Sheffield

Alan Crutch

I have a download of all 5 volumes of this , one of which includes an interesting description of Sheffield in the 1790's, just before I was born.

I have transcribed the history, and description of services offered, gentry etc, the usual stuff you get in Directories, and have started on the traders. So far I have got to the end of the "c"s. No addresses for the traders but it is a very long list with some interesting occupations.

If anyone wants any info from any of the volumes, individual traders, or the History of Sheffield, please let me know and I'll reply here or  e-mail you,.depending on the size of the file.

Can't post the Directory extract here as only 'picture' type files are allowed. Happy to put the whole transcription on here, if someone tells me how and where to send it (and provided I don't have to take numerous screenshots!)

4 hours ago, Alan Crutch said:

in the 1790's, just before I was born.

..... which would make you 230+ years old? 🧐

You could upload the file to DropBox and post a link on this thread.... if anyone was interested in the directory.

On 11/04/2021 at 22:30, RLongden said:

..... which would make you 230+ years old? 🧐

You could upload the file to DropBox and post a link on this thread.... if anyone was interested in the directory.

I am indeed. It's hard transcribing with a quill pen. My wig keeps falling over my eyes. When I Have finished I may well use ye Dropbox.