Does this scene look familiar to you? (Sheffield in the 1970's)

Sheffield History

Did they look like this?     In 1956 Rotherham rebodied 14 of their single-deck trolleys in this livery, sorry for off-topic.527951276_Scan_20210418(2).thumb.jpg.f85efce7f4cfdf3442c2237bc20a435c.jpgApologies for going off-topi9cDSC04137.thumb.JPG.c6586dd046c1aa5be8c2c1fc9f5ce22e.JPG

56 minutes ago, Voldy said:

Did they look like this?     In 1956 Rotherham rebodied 14 of their single-deck trolleys in this livery, sorry for off-topic.527951276_Scan_20210418(2).thumb.jpg.f85efce7f4cfdf3442c2237bc20a435c.jpgApologies for going off-topi9cDSC04137.thumb.JPG.c6586dd046c1aa5be8c2c1fc9f5ce22e.JPG

That’s the one.

Well if that is the type then you must have ridden on it in Rotherham. The service between Sheffield and Rotherham was operated by the single ended trams but never trolley buses. A tram works by getting electricity from the overhead wire and returning it through the rails, a trolley bus needs another overhead wire to return the current as it has rubber tyres, and Sheffield only had a single wire system.

Nigel L

12 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

Well if that is the type then you must have ridden on it in Rotherham. The service between Sheffield and Rotherham was operated by the single ended trams but never trolley buses. A tram works by getting electricity from the overhead wire and returning it through the rails, a trolley bus needs another overhead wire to return the current as it has rubber tyres, and Sheffield only had a single wire system.

Nigel L

I NEVER rode a trolley bus in Rotherham and I can remember what I saw double decker buses leaving from near the Rotherham House, c 1956/7.

As a footnote, I never set foot in Rotherham until 1964.

9 hours ago, southside said:

Not my interest really, I only mentioned seeing them in the 1950s.

On 18/04/2021 at 09:29, tozzin said:

I never ever rode any of the trolley buses that went to Rotherham from Exchange Street, anyone had the pleasure?

This was the first post on this thread to mention trolley buses.  Subsequent posts to clarify the history of this route led to my input (for which I apologised for going 'off post') to clear up outstanding queries.

It happens frequently that posts are deviated from the thread title or are inadvertantly duplicated in some way, for the most part we accept this. Our objective should be to ensure what we post is an accurate and true account worthy of this website's historical purpose.

And the view looking up from the Rag & Tag market, can see the same building as the original photo...

(posted by Barry Martin on Facebook)

175813227_1671613523030345_2877903802157799950_n.thumb.jpg.99e37521cd7ef132d1ef4adc39c51ec9.jpg

Thank you for posting those pictures ( I don't use Facebook!), especially the 1950's shot. It looks like a Sunday evening and reminds me of the visits made to relatives who lived at Sky Edge in the 40's and early 50's; very much the Sheffield of my youth.

On 11/04/2021 at 21:03, History dude said:

In some instances things like that were removed because they looked old fashioned. Many shelters were put in for the old Tram system, they got adapted for use of buses. Sheffield Council in the 70's was all about making things look good, getting rid of Victorian and Edwardian Sheffield, which was seen as dirty and unclean. And of course the councillors tended to have interests in putting in the new "stuff". 

Many times various departments were simply spending some money that was left in the budget, before the new budget was set. Each department had to basically show they had spent or allocated the money for the previous years, or the Council's Treasury Department wouldn't have given them the same money with an inflation increase! So old bus shelters might have come under the Highways Department and to get rid of cash, the removal of old bus shelters might have been the way they did it. So the Pinstone Street Shelter got demolished and the Highways budget for next year was not cut.  Of course I'm not saying that's what happened, but I have seen things like that happen.  

I was always suspicious of the deal that handed bus shelter provision to Adshel. 

Rotherham ceased operating its trams on !3 Nov 1949.....so I doubt many of us would have ridden the single ended trams.