Graveyard Penistone Road

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I was chatting the other day with an old neighbour, who moved away from Sheffield some years ago, and was rather suprised at the changes to Sheffield.

He asked me what had happend to the graves that were in a small grave yard on Penistone Road. When I thought about it I too remembered a grave yard , it would have been just before the tram stop at Shalesmoor, almost opposite what used to be the Bickerton Skoda sales room.

Does anyone else remember this, or know what happend to the graves ?

Guest coffee cup

Many thanks for that, our visitors were about to leave, so at the time i didn't have chance to browse to see if there was any info already posted.

They are on their way back to south Africa now, but I will e mail them with info.

He did howver say that he had some photos of the graveyard, if he sends them I will post them.

Guest paulie

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I was chatting the other day with an old neighbour, who moved away from Sheffield some years ago, and was rather suprised at the changes to Sheffield.

He asked me what had happend to the graves that were in a small grave yard on Penistone Road. When I thought about it I too remembered a grave yard , it would have been just before the tram stop at Shalesmoor, almost opposite what used to be the Bickerton Skoda sales room.

Does anyone else remember this, or know what happend to the graves ?

I REMEMBER THE SMALL ISLAND GRAVEYARD YOU ARE ON ABOUT. I USED TO LIVE ON PARKWOOD SPRINGS VERY NEAR HERE . THE GRAVES WERE TOOK AWAY WHEN THE TRAM WAYS WERE BUILT THE MOVED ALL THE BODIES AND RE BURIED THEM UP AY ABBY LANE CEMETARY .IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ANY MORE ABOUT THE AREA YOU CAN E MAIL ME DIRECT AT pwood@pwwd5.wanadoo.co.uk

PAUL

Oh dear...a confession coming up

we used to pinch xmas tree light bulbs that sat in the grounds next to infirmary road.

Plus, i remember seeing the graves dug up to widen the road. you could see quite easily from the top deck of the bus.

Guest Border Reiver

I REMEMBER THE SMALL ISLAND GRAVEYARD YOU ARE ON ABOUT. I USED TO LIVE ON PARKWOOD SPRINGS VERY NEAR HERE . THE GRAVES WERE TOOK AWAY WHEN THE TRAM WAYS WERE BUILT THE MOVED ALL THE BODIES AND RE BURIED THEM UP AY ABBY LANE CEMETARY .IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ANY MORE ABOUT THE AREA YOU CAN E MAIL ME DIRECT AT pwood@pwwd5.wanadoo.co.uk

PAUL

Weren't some of the graves also moved to Wardsend cemetery. My great grandfather's brother's burial was registered at St. Phillips but his grave is at Wardsend?

The wife wrote this down at the archives, looks like they moved the former inhabitants to Abbey Lane.

Burials Abbey Lane

grave plots list re burial St Philip

1160-1166-28th June

1215-1221- July24-25-26-28

1379-1381- 11 Sep

1436-1441- 4-5 Oct

Guest Al Pearson

Did the moving of the graves occur in 1967? I was visisting Sheffield in Sept and remember seeing open graves from a double decker bus....quite an impression on an 8 year old in a foreign? country.