Can you cross these bridges?

History dude

While looking at modern images of the area around the Parkway I noticed a path going to an old bridge that crossed the main line out for Sheffield. There is also another bridge which is more like a "box" structure crossing over another line. The older bridge looks open to cross, I can't tell about the box one. So are they indeed accessible are are they closed off? Picture below:

Bridges Sheffield Parkway area Bing Maps 2021.jpg

If this is near Nunnery then this looks to be a very old picture.

The lattice bridge is a pipe bridge, and looking on Google maps the first arch bridge is fenced off at the back of the Capita offices, and the other one is part of a new works yard which I think is Network Rail.

Nigel L

It's a Bing image. I don't know how often they updated the Satellite images on there, but even Google isn't that quick. 

The more recent image reminds of the song with the lyrics "They pave paradise, put up a parking lot".

Yes I did myself have a wonder around Google aerial views. And looked around in disgust as the city centre has turned into a place to park cars. Despite the coming of Supertram. 

The older bridge is the one that fed the Soap House Depot. It linked via a line to Woodburn Road, entering the main lines at the back of the Signal Box. 

There would have been another bridge over the Nunnery lines in a dead straight alignment of the older bridge and would have cut through the pipe bridge, which was of course put in later. This took the line to the Woodburn Road box. As Soap House was a coal and coke depot, then linking it to that point would take it to the Nunnery Colliery, just past Woodburn box.

By the way the railway company who named the single box, left out the letter "O" of Woodbourn Road, by mistake.  

On 10/04/2021 at 11:20, History dude said:

The more recent image reminds of the song with the lyrics "They pave paradise, put up a parking lot".

Yes I did myself have a wonder around Google aerial views. And looked around in disgust as the city centre has turned into a place to park cars. Despite the coming of Supertram. 

The older bridge is the one that fed the Soap House Depot. It linked via a line to Woodburn Road, entering the main lines at the back of the Signal Box. 

There would have been another bridge over the Nunnery lines in a dead straight alignment of the older bridge and would have cut through the pipe bridge, which was of course put in later. This took the line to the Woodburn Road box. As Soap House was a coal and coke depot, then linking it to that point would take it to the Nunnery Colliery, just past Woodburn box.

By the way the railway company who named the single box, left out the letter "O" of Woodbourn Road, by mistake.  

Joni Mitchell

"You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone"

I did know the song and who sang it and it is called "Big Yellow Taxi". It reached number 10 in May of 1968 in the UK.