Thomas Wilkinson Silversmith early 1800s

E Ann W

Hi,

I am researching my great, great grandfather, Thomas Wilkinson, who appeared to be active as a silversmith in High St, Sheffield in 1840.  He left there in the next 20 years to set up a business in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham.  The building he had built there is called the Pelican Works & is now a listed building. I would love to find more about him and his relations in Sheffield.  Can anybody assist? Many thanks, Ann Thomas (nee Wilkinson)

31 minutes ago, E Ann W said:

Hi,

I am researching my great, great grandfather, Thomas Wilkinson, who appeared to be active as a silversmith in High St, Sheffield in 1840.  He left there in the next 20 years to set up a business in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham.  The building he had built there is called the Pelican Works & is now a listed building. I would love to find more about him and his relations in Sheffield.  Can anybody assist? Many thanks, Ann Thomas (nee Wilkinson)

Is this any relation ? High Street was a stones throw away from the works at 17 New Church Street, the street had long gone in the late 1800s as the Town Hall was built on it.

D339C383-F3AC-4FF7-9B1D-DC2DA4F20894.jpeg

Thank you for this, Tozzin,

Interesting. I have never visited Sheffield, so fascinating that the Town Hall might be built on where a relation worked! 

I do wonder if it is the same Thomas Wilkinson or perhaps a relation. I am aware that my Thomas Wilkinson used to go back to visit a cousin up that way. The business in Birmingham was not anything to do with scissors.

A mystery so far!

Ann

1 hour ago, E Ann W said:

Thank you for this, Tozzin,

Interesting. I have never visited Sheffield, so fascinating that the Town Hall might be built on where a relation worked! 

I do wonder if it is the same Thomas Wilkinson or perhaps a relation. I am aware that my Thomas Wilkinson used to go back to visit a cousin up that way. The business in Birmingham was not anything to do with scissors.

A mystery so far!

Ann

I’ll look into him a bit deeper and post it IF I find anything I’ll post what I find.

This must be the same Wilkinson if you have their address as New Church Street, there's no other Wilkinson on the street, its possible that Thomas`s son William Henry built up the cutlery production in Birmingham as there's no mention of him it the article below. The house, No 15 Northumberland Road in the photo is where George Wilkinson lived and died, his widow, Martha, was still there in 1879. Im hoping this is correct as Ive only posted the things Ive found. The Victorian photo is of New Church Street, it was a very short street.

image.png.96b3bab872cf49e5cfc703b9ad88ea8c.pngimage.png.8f15e1ed7072bfa3534bbf04a52b300e.png

15 Northumberland Road in 1868 was the home of George Wostenholme scissor manufacturer.jpg

8AF15175-9AD0-46C8-9A6F-5C2A3955F74B.png

Hi E Ann W.  Bit of an interesting writeup here you may like.

Search:-  Thomas Wilkinson and Old Factories

Plus some pictures that you might find interesting.

Go to - Picture Sheffield - top right search box put in  y03470  click on Search and scroll down

y13179

y13180

a04872

There's also this picture, MIGHT! be the other Thomas   y08619 

Ok Heartshome