The Crystal Rooms

Guest Colin

Guest Colin

I can't find a better place to put this, so here it is.

The Crystal rooms was a shiny little amusement arcade (gambling den) underneath the ABC cinema on Angel Street. I worked there for about a year at the end of the seventies and witnessed the gamut of human misery (I think that I have set the tone here) . From the little old lady that wanted to forget (whatever it was) by spending a few pennies in a slot to the addict who found more money by going round the local pubs with a Christian Aid tin, the contents of which went through the machines.

I was a mechanic and I happily maintained these devices (the wages put food on the table). Taking money, spinning wheels and occasionally spilling out a win. If the punters could have seen what happened twice week when the machines where emptied, would they think differently? It took over an hour to pour all the cash into bags, count it and and take it round to the bank.

Case in point. Giro day. A guy in his forties with no work and a forty a day habit came in straight from the post office. Wife and two kids in tow. He was a regular so we pulled him out a seat. Sat at his favourite machine he proceeded to feed it. These are hungry beasts. At that time the maximum cash win was 50p and a token win of £1. He was after tokens. Every time he had a quids worth of tokens he swapped it it the kiosk for 40 Embassy Regal (a brand of ciggies, for clarification). I calculated that, at the time, he was paying an average of 80p for a 48p packet of fags. And his kids clapped. Nuts or what!

There's more if anyone wants it.

I can't find a better place to put this, so here it is.

The Crystal rooms was a shiny little amusement arcade (gambling den) underneath the ABC cinema on Angel Street. I worked there for about a year at the end of the seventies and witnessed the gamut of human misery (I think that I have set the tone here) . From the little old lady that wanted to forget (whatever it was) by spending a few pennies in a slot to the addict who found more money by going round the local pubs with a Christian Aid tin, the contents of which went through the machines.

I was a mechanic and I happily maintained these devices (the wages put food on the table). Taking money, spinning wheels and occasionally spilling out a win. If the punters could have seen what happened twice week when the machines where emptied, would they think differently? It took over an hour to pour all the cash into bags, count it and and take it round to the bank.

Case in point. Giro day. A guy in his forties with no work and a forty a day habit came in straight from the post office. Wife and two kids in tow. He was a regular so we pulled him out a seat. Sat at his favourite machine he proceeded to feed it. These are hungry beasts. At that time the maximum cash win was 50p and a token win of £1. He was after tokens. Every time he had a quids worth of tokens he swapped it it the kiosk for 40 Embassy Regal (a brand of ciggies, for clarification). I calculated that, at the time, he was paying an average of 80p for a 48p packet of fags. And his kids clapped. Nuts or what!

There's more if anyone wants it.

Still happens mate.....I was having a pint with my brother in law when I visited Sheffield last week. He told me of a guy who comes into his local club on pay day, and literally dumps his wages into one of these machines - after its all gone he then spends the rest ot the time until next pay day scrounging beer and fags from his mates. Don't anyone tell me that "well, it's his life so leave him to it" - he needs help

Back to the Crystal Rooms - didnt there used to be a Crystal rooms down Arundel Gate - around where the old Hofbrahaus used to be? - this would have been the late 60's / early 70's - definatly an amusement arcade there cus I remember learning how to play pinball 'properly' insted of the random stabbing I gave the flippers up to that time