Henry's Wine Bar on Cambridge Street

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 19.11.01.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 19.09.27.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 19.09.49.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 19.10.05.jpg

Anyone remember Henry's Wine Bar on Cambridge Street, Sheffield City Centre?

I used to pop in every now and again (particularly before Sheffield City Hall concerts and shows for a pre-gig drink)

Guest leksand
22 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

I used to pop in every now and again (particularly before Sheffield City Hall concerts and shows for a pre-gig drink)

I remember once having a fantastic beer in the style of a proper Yorkshire bitter from Spire of Chesterfield there. Sadly thats the only good memory & just about the only time I got a drinkable pint there. On one occasion I had three consecutive pints of vinegar pulled and the mate who was with me had the same experience, having ordered different beers. I have the feeling that if it ever reopens they'll try & flog what was left in the cellar before it shut. (They'd probably be plenty in the Sheffield CAMRA consignetti who'd sup it up too!) By contrast the Brewhouse, the little place off the back, was really quite good, even if it never did end up brewing.

1 hour ago, leksand said:

I remember once having a fantastic beer in the style of a proper Yorkshire bitter from Spire of Chesterfield there. Sadly thats the only good memory & just about the only time I got a drinkable pint there. On one occasion I had three consecutive pints of vinegar pulled and the mate who was with me had the same experience, having ordered different beers. I have the feeling that if it ever reopens they'll try & flog what was left in the cellar before it shut. (They'd probably be plenty in the Sheffield CAMRA consignetti who'd sup it up too!) By contrast the Brewhouse, the little place off the back, was really quite good, even if it never did end up brewing.

Yeah I don't think it was that well known for it's qualtity of beers was it

lol

33 minutes ago, 31dec1966 said:

I remember when it opened thinking what the hell is a wine bar?

Was it one of the first in Sheffield?

On 30/03/2021 at 19:12, Sheffield History said:

Probably was, certainly the first I heard of, and it was quite high profile indicating it was unusual. I preferred the Wapentake over the road. More my scene, table football, sticky floor, local bands and beer. Used to do basic food at dinnertime too!

• Like 1

I remember this - we did a print of it recently. 

https://sheffield-personalised-prints.myshopify.com/products/henry-s-bar-sheffield-at-night?_pos=1&_psq=henry&_ss=e&_v=1.0

76177D9E-680C-46BF-820C-D85A03B0E354.jpeg

• Like 1

I miss Henry’s - I thought it had a bit of character about it and was always a decent atmosphere.

The little craft bar they opened on the back of it was decent aswell.

There was also Mr. Kites on Division St. right up Dev’ Green end. Also a couple on ‘Eccy Road’.

May have found myself in Henry’s a handful of times, as at one time was part of the bar crawl. Never went to Mr. Kites, nor the ones up Eccy Road, as found them too pretentious in the mid-80’s and often frequented by the 10/- millionaires of the parish! 
“£10 for a small glass of the latest must-drink vino”…… Emperors new clothes if you ask me. £10 a bottle is pushing the boat out for me these days….. 😆

• Like 1

One of the first was VAT ONE on Glossop Rd which was virtually opposite the Baths on the corner .

The same building later became Barton’s diner 

On 30/03/2021 at 19:11, Sheffield History said:

Yeah I don't think it was that well known for it's qualtity of beers was it

lol

It used to be the Barley Corn, one of towns historic pubs. It became associated with the cities *** community but we used to use it when we were just starting to drink and it was great fun although a bit run down. Henry's started out not selling anything on tap other than lager and so we left it to the posers of the eighties to frequent.They started selling ale again not long before it shut but by then people who were in the know i.e. CAMRA members recognised it wasn't kept properly and left it for others to try. All in all Henry's was a disaster for the drinkers of Sheffield.

• Like 1

Guest leksand
On 12/01/2022 at 20:44, steveontheisland said:

It used to be the Barley Corn, one of towns historic pubs. It became associated with the cities *** community but we used to use it when we were just starting to drink and it was great fun although a bit run down. Henry's started out not selling anything on tap other than lager and so we left it to the posers of the eighties to frequent.They started selling ale again not long before it shut but by then people who were in the know i.e. CAMRA members recognised it wasn't kept properly and left it for others to try. All in all Henry's was a disaster for the drinkers of Sheffield.

Although the latter version of the Barleycorn nominally dates from 1901 the number and extent of alterations over the years have left precious little remaining structurally from that time. I think the first floor facade is pretty much the limit of it. Given the size of what appears to be being erected behind it begs the question precisely why what has been kept is being retained (so too for Pinstone St!), as it can hardly offer a disguise.

Sheffield CAMRA are one of the "Sky TV" mentality branches in terms of operation. They have long displayed a heavy leaning towards pubs stocking large numbers of beers, particularly of novelty ethic, over those that focus on quality and consistency. Consequently they tend to support the "beer festival" themed pubs irrespective of whether the beer is well kept (or even, to an increasing extent, if it is real ale). Henrys was consistently reelected to the GBG despite frequent severe problems with quality, as was the Fat Cat (which, thankfully, seemed to have resolved long term cellaring problems before the end of the last decade). Fortunately for Sheffield's discerning drinkers there are still plenty of pubs (or were pre-COVID) beyond the CAMRA radar that source good beer and keep it well.

I drink all over the city and have done for over 45 years. I am often surprised when I find a pub serving excellent real ale that it isn't in the GBG. I agree that too often CAMRA support the 'ten hand pumps on the bar' type pub over a pub which keeps only a couple of ales but keeps them well. However. I think most pubs included usually serve good beer, It's just that the others should be included too.

On 29/03/2021 at 19:43, Sheffield History said:

So sad to see Henry 's in that state. I worked there in the 80' s met the Human League and others. Was such a great vibe.