HMS Barham

Hi My great uncle, Frank Osborne died aged 22 when a German U-Boat torpedoed HMS Barham on 25th November 1941.  As it is 80 years this year, I was wondering if there was a way of finding out how many of the men were from Sheffield....? Any info/advice is much appreciated.

I would start HERE which is the HMS Barham Association website. The website does have a memorial to Franks and a photograph. Worth an ask

8 minutes ago, togger said:

I would start HERE which is the HMS Barham Association website. The website does have a memorial to Franks and a photograph. Worth an ask

Thanks. I added the memorial and have enquired but not had a response. 

Hope this helps - information that you require:

PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL, Devon, United Kingdom

Commonwealth War Dead (1939-1945)

HYNDMAN, Ordinary Signalman, DENIS, D/JX 214018. H.M.S. Barham, Royal Navy. 25 November 1941. Age 21. Son of John William Denis Hyndman and Eliza Ann Hyndman, of Sheffield. Grave Reference: Panel 50, Column 2.

OSBORNE, Able Seaman, FRANK, D/JX 176692. H.M.S. Barham, Royal Navy. 25 November 1941. Age 22. Son of William and Elvina Osborne, of Sheffield. Grave Reference: Panel 48, Column 1.

PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL, Hampshire, United Kingdom

Commonwealth War Dead (1939-1945)

BARLOW, Leading Seaman, EDWARD WILLIAM ARCHIBALD, P/JX 152881. H.M.S. Barham, Royal Navy. 25 November 1941. Age 19. Son of Clifford Dudley Barlow and Doris Barlow, of Sheffield. Grave Reference: Panel 46, Column 3.

BLACK, Electrical Artificer 4th Class, PETER ALBERT, P/MX 52352. H.M.S. Barham, Royal Navy. 25 November 1941. Age 21. Son of Rupert Stanley Black and Harriet Ann Black, of Sheffield. Grave Reference: Panel 57, Column 1.

CHAPMAN, Stoker 1st Class, CHARLES FREDERICK, P/KX 99207. H.M.S. Barham., Royal Navy. 25 November 1941. Age 23. Son of Charles Edward and Edith Chapman; husband of Doreen Chapman, of Sheffield. Grave Reference: Panel 54, Column 3.

HALL, Engine Room Artificer 4th Class, ARTHUR, P/MX 56299. H.M.S. Barham, Royal Navy. 25 November 1941. Age 22. Son of George Heney Hall and Clara Ann Hall, of Sheffield. Grave Reference: Panel 53, Column 2.

WOOD, Ordnance Artificer 1st Class, PERCY, P/M 35474. H.M.S. Barham, Royal Navy. 25 November 1941. Age 41. Son of John Lysath Wood and Harriet Wood, of Sheffield; husband of Constance Amy Wood, of Sheffield. Grave Reference: Panel 56, Column 3.