Harry Denis Smith

James Houston

Hello I'm  trying to find any information or photographs of  Harry Denis Smith who lived at 32 Vickers Rd Sheffield from the early 1900s until his death in 1932.He was a President of the Firth Park Bowling Club and was a Deacon at Queen St Congregation Church,he also ran his own Motor business somewhere.I think he was also involved with the Firth Park Church. 

Many thanks Jim Houston

On 28/03/2021 at 14:53, James Houston said:

Hello I'm  trying to find any information or photographs of  Harry Denis Smith who lived at 32 Vickers Rd Sheffield from the early 1900s until his death in 1932.He was a President of the Firth Park Bowling Club and was a Deacon at Queen St Congregation Church,he also ran his own Motor business somewhere.I think he was also involved with the Firth Park Church. 

Many thanks Jim Houston

I have found a news article about his funeral.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 19 September 1932

Sheffield 3.JPG

Sheffield 4.jpg

There seems to be a few threads related to this...but without going through them all...the chap at 32 Vickers Road was Harry Dennis Smith and his wife Elizabeth, they were at the same address in 1919.

From what I can see he did not come to Sheffield until after 1915, there is a record of him ( or someone of the same name, age and profession) being a Member of the Eltham Palace Masonic Lodge in London in 1915,

In the 1911 Census he is living along with wife Elizabeth ( nee Irons) and son Harry (b1893 Beeston, Nottingham) at 15 London Rd, Bedford.

Elizabeth is Harry's second wife, marrying in 1906 at Mountsorrel Christ Church, Leicester'. Her father is shown as Henry Irons. Harry's father is shown as William Dennis Smith, deceased, Bricklayer by profession.

Harry's first wife appears to be Kate Clarke, marrying in 1892, Harry junior being born in 1893.

• Like 1