Richardson Travel, Sheffield

Moshmeister

Good evening everyone. Thank you for welcoming me to the site. I was wondering if anybody has any photos showing Richardson's old depot before they moved up to Bernard Road goods yard. I believe it was on Penistone Road near Globe Works / Green Lane. I seem to recall riding past on the bus to/from Grenoside and looking down into it (presumably during the first stage of the road widening in that area). This would have been early 1980's. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Moshmeister.  The only garage I saw Richardson's coaches was at Shalesmoor, more or less opposite Hoyle Street, although it wasn't big enough to house all their coaches.  Certainly they moved up to Bernard Road Goods Yard and may even have shared premises with a PSV Driving school.  I have a couple of photos - but whether or not I can find them............

Blimey! This post took me back a bit. I don't have any photos but I do have memories of working for Roger Richardson at the garage. I can still remember the smell of his old Rover interior, that of leather, petrol and most of all, cigarettes.  It came as no surprise to hear that he'd passed away at the age of 64, he constantly had a cigarette on the go. 

Although I knew I wanted to drive for a living working there put a stop to any ideas of being a coach/bus driver. The lads worked very long days for a pittance.  I used to dread Mondays as the buses quite often, would have been out on a football job or just as bad a fishing club job. 

I loved those buses in the end. He had an old AEC, E reg (1967) this was the very first large vehicle I ever moved and it got me hooked. I've recently packed in my job - driving buses 😃

The office building had once been an inn and the main garage bay had been a coach house/stables. There was more to that place that met the eye. There's so much, or was so much history down there that we took for granted.