Goodbye Wicker Arches?

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

The Wicker Arches have been added to the list of buildings most at risk by English Heritage. This from the BBC News website;

MOST AT-RISK NEW ADDITIONS

Chatterley Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire - £25m conservation deficit

Cardington No 1 Airship Hangar, Bedford - £5m

Ditherington Flax Mill and attached malt kiln, Shrewsbury, Shropshire - £5m

Soho Foundry, Smethwick, West Midlands - £5m

Birnbeck Pier, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset - £4m

Crossness Pumping Station, Bexley, London - £3m

Royal Insurance Building, Liverpool - £3m

Astley Castle, Warwickshire - £2m

Remains of Old Quarr Abbey, Isle of Wight - £2m

The Large Mansion, Hounslow, London - £2m

Tynemouth Station, Tyne and Wear - £2m

Abbey Mills Pumping Station, Newham, London - £1.5m

Bank Hall, Chorley, Lancashire - £1.5m

The Mausoleum, Ryedale, North Yorkshire - £1m

Western Heights fortifications, Dover, Kent - £1m

Wicker Arch and viaduct, Sheffield, South Yorkshire - £1m

Source: English Heritage

To read the full story, Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/6913354.stm

Guest tsavo

This item got me wondering, just who is responsible for the upkeep of it. The council or the railway operators?

Guest belfrybum

Here,Here!! Why oh why do some people feel determined to destroy everything that has made Sheffield the major city that it is?

I am all for development of the city,but not at the expense of the fantastic pieces of arcitecture designed in previous years!

Its just as well that sculpture was made when it was, as the last stainless steel rolling mill left in Sheffield closed down later.

I dont think that sculpture is actually still there is it?

Someone in the council may yet suggest that the Wicker Arches could be replaced with a shiny steel version. (god forbid!) 'To represent the past heritage of Sheffield etc etc'. The fact that as with other recent developments in the city centre, the steel will be foreign made stuff seems to be by the by. I dont think the Sheffield Council have irony as part of their training do they?

Why the heck all the original Sheffield heritage sites and buildings, cant just be left in place, renovated and done up, and/or re-used I just cant understand. As nice as some parts are, the town centre is now more like the glass and concrete modern Tokyo than an old industrial and historical English city. Its a depressing thought to think of all the marvellous old buildings etc that have been swept away forever, and now only exist in photos and memories.

I remember some years ago, a stink, when it was revealed that all the cities signs were fixed with brackets made of Sweedish stainless steel. ....and that was when we were still making stainless!

Soooooo, I decided to start looking at the oldest posts and work my way forward, looking for anything that interested me :) its been 10 years since this post was originally put up, and I wondered if anyone had any news / updates on any of the places listed??

As an expat I visit my old home town a couple of times a year, but never really get out to see any of the places I remember from my youth.

The Wicker arches are still there, but how are they doing?? what plans if any are there for their future??

I live in Shrewsbury now, and the battle for the Flax Mill (from OP list) is still ongoing, the cost has sky rocketed, and work has only just really begun to keep it safe. It was one of, if not the first building to use an internal metal frame for support - the forerunner of most of todays modern buildings.

What would be left of anywhere if it wasn't for English Heritage and Historic England!!!

2 hours ago, antony said:

Soooooo, I decided to start looking at the oldest posts and work my way forward, looking for anything that interested me :) its been 10 years since this post was originally put up, and I wondered if anyone had any news / updates on any of the places listed??

I believe that the huge Cardington hangars are now back in use for a new airship project.

Thanks Athy, I completely forgot to mention them, I lived in Bedfordshire for some years, and saw these hangars frequently - I did manage to get very close to them at one point, yes they are HUGE you don't realise quite how big they really are. You are right, one of the hangers is / was being used for a new airship venture :)

Looking back through the posts everybody seems to be bashing the council (as usual) for the problems with this bridge, but actually it is nothing to do with them. It is the responsibility of Network Rail to deal with any structural issues as the bridge was originally built by the railway company to cross an existing road.