Halle Orchestra and other City Hall classical concerts

fentonvillain

I'd be interested to hear memories of concerts at the City Hall back in the 50s when students could sit at the back of the orchestra for a shilling.   It the highlight of my week to go on a Friday or Saturday and watch Sir John Barbirolli or George Weldon conducting The Halle and I found it a great shame when I returned to the City to discover The Lions had gone, that concerts were few and far between and that the cheap seats on the stage had been done away with.  I like to think that many hundreds of young Sheffield folk grew up with that rare chance to experience something special. Maybe someone has a collection of programmes from that time? I wish I had kept mine!  

The cheap seats were also a bonus for those of us who enjoyed popular music. I well remember sitting behind Joan Baez....who turned her back on the auditorium and sang a song especially for we "poor" folk!

My earliest recollection of the Halle Orchestra was going ,with school, to an afternoon concert especially for schoolchildren....that would be mid 1950s.

• Like 1

I went there from 1956. My Uncle had intruduced me to classiucal music through records he had (bought from classics Club which you joined & they sent a record every month) . He bought us both a Saturday season ticket  at City Hall & I loved it. Grdeatr memories of JB & the Halle live with me & I have a large collection of recofrdings of JB & Halle. In the 1960's I worked at ESC with 2 men in Sheffioeld Philharmonic Choir & I went with them in coaches for annual Messiah in Belle Vue. .I also recall a family visit (mum ,dad, grandma, Grandad & Uncle to the Free Trade Hall in Manchster for Verdi Requiem I think.. I left Sheffield in 1976 but went in 1985 I think with my 14 year old son & uncle to a performance of Dream Of Gerontius - very memorable.

Wonderful memories !!!

• Like 1

My introduction to Classical Music was through a School Concert given by the Halle Orchestra and conducted by Sir John Barbitolli at the City Hall. I recall that two of the pieces were the Russlan & Ludmilla Overture and the Karelia Suite. My first pop concert was also there- Adam Faith supported by Emile Ford.

• Like 1