Signal boxes demolished

Lemmy117

Last weekend saw Beighton Station signal box demolished, today Woodhouse Junction 'box followed it into history.

Nigel L

I understand that no one came up with an offer to preserve Beighton signalbox. The cost of resighting it for preservation was, according to Network Rail,...."prohibitive"....so I am informed.

I believe a figure of £30,000 was mentioned. Apparently the equipment inside the box is always offered to the railway museum in York, if it is of historical importance they take it, not sure what happens if they don't want it though.

Nigel L

You would have thought these buildings would have been listed. I'm amazed how many old railway buildings are demolished. I suspect that if that kind of building had been on the road network then it would have been listed and nearly impossible to demolish. However since they are on railway lines, they can just be got shut of. I am inclined to blame Network Rail. I suspect it can do what it likes and isn't really answerable to anybody. 

I always wondered how they managed to get rid of the Victoria Station Buildings? By the time they were demolished historic buildings were well protected, it wasn't like 50's and 60's, when historic buildings were being got shut off for the sake of progress.

The figure I had reported from Network Rail was considerably more than £30K....it was in the £ hundreds of thousands and included the cost of building new foundations.

Incidentally, I helped rescue a Midland Railway shunters cabin back in the 1980s ...which I know was much smaller than the Beighton box....This was on the former Renishaw goods yard. It found a home at the Midland Railway Centre. Volunteers made it secure...a crane was hired and the whole thing was lifted and placed on a veteran Scammell low loader whish took it down the M1 from Renishaw. The cost was negligible.

Rest in peace - Beighton Station Signal Box.

Used to hang around here a lot in my younger days.

GCR043-Beighton Station Signal Box-16-06-1977.jpg

Built at Swindon Works in 1959, Class 9F, No.92206, of York North Shed (50A), approaches Beighton Station Signal Box and Level Crossing from the direction of Woodhouse Junction in 1964. This locomotive was withdrawn in May 1967, after only eight years of service.

CAI526-SW-1959, Class BR9F, No.92206, (Shed Code.50A, York North), approaching Beighton Station Signal Box & Level Crossing, view looking North-18-04-1964.jpg

• Like 1

Built by the Vulcan Foundry to works number 5084, in 1944, Austerity Class WD/8, No.90647, of Frodingham Shed (No.36C), approaches Beighton Station Signal Box and Level Crossing from the direction of Holbrook Colliery Sidings Signal Box, in 1964. The opposite direction from the image posted above. Holbrook Colliery Sidings Signal Box just visible behind the train.

CAI975-VF.2300.5084-1944, Class WD-8, No.90647, (Shed No.36C, Frodingham), at Holbrook Colliery Sidings, near Beighton-18-04-1964.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unitedite Returns said:

Rest in peace - Beighton Station Signal Box.

Used to hang around here a lot in my younger days.

GCR043-Beighton Station Signal Box-16-06-1977.jpg

Must pass this more than three times a week on our “COVID” walks around the block. In the words of the great Joni Mitchell “you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone”.... missing the signals tower in recent times, but still will leave a void in that part of the village.. 😢

I have seen a lot of these signal box and station signs relating to Sheffield on an auction site. So I suspect that it will be sold off to make money.