Working Men's Club Trips for Children - 1950/1960's

Paul Worrall

Working Men’s Club Day Trips – 1950s/1960’s

Has anybody got any memories or memorabilia from the annual 1950’s/1960’s Working Men’s Club Day Trips for Children?

My Dad was a member of the Aqueduct Working Men’s, Darnall so My late brother and I got to go on the annual trip to either Cleethorpes or Mablethorpe in the early 1960’s.

These outings were legendary. Participants met in the Club Car Park, were given a 10 Bob Note, a voucher for a Fish and Chip Lunch in a set Café, a Stick of Rock and then were allocated a seat on a coach. The coaches always stopped at that large pub were the road divides between Cleethorpes and Mablethorpe and all the older participants disappeared inside for about half an hour.

My friends used to say that Club Trips were a common aspect of WMC life. My friend went to Blackpool with his Dad’s club.

The title, ‘Working Man’s Club’ was a sign of the unequal times. Some Clubs wouldn’t even allow Women Members in their own right, they had to be wives of male members!

Wazzie Worrall.

• Like 1

Sadly I didn't have a card-carrying parent that would allow me to go on WMC trips. However, I have a fond but hazy memory of an alcohol-fuelled coach trip to Blackpool with the landlord (Patrick Shannon) and clientele of the Red House pub on Solly street. As if a day's drinking in Blackpool was not enough, on the way home we had a couple of hours of further refreshment at the Peggy Tub (WMC?) in Stocksbridge.  A good day out!
Perce

Excellent! A different angle on Coach Trips, it appears 'drinking' plays a major role in all activities!

Wazzie Worrall...

I remember in the late 80s early 90s going on a club trip with arundel Wmc.

got a packed lunch and drink - and £2 in 20p’s.

all kids went on a coach with adults on another.

My grandad was a member of Pitsmoor WMC. They used to charter a couple of trains for the kids outing. Imagine trying to do that today!
Victoria station to Cleethorpes was the journey. As has been said previously, money was handed over, I seem to recall 4 half crowns being the order of the day. Fish and chip dinner on arrival in a cafe by the station was included and a sticky bun and rock on the way home.

Happy days.

Late addition to the above. The one that always amused me was in Bradford. The Idle Working Men’s Club. Childish I know.😁.

With a brown label attached to my collar, a few bob spending money and a voucher for a meal I went on the "chara" to New Brighton on a couple of occasions with Shiregreen WMC ...of the Full Monty fame! It always seemed to rain!

I well remember the WMC children's trips.

If I was lucky I went on two trips each year, once with Oakland Road Club and once with the Dial House trip.

I remember being extremely disappointed one year when they arranged them both on the same day and I had to decide between one or the other !😪

I qualified because a near neighbour was on the commitee of Oakland Road and my grandfather was Treasurer of Dial House Club. In later years he was renowned as being the clubs alleged only  honest treasurer.

I must have been older than some of the other posters as I can only remember getting two half-crowns in a small envelope as pocket money. I do remember the cardboard labels of distinctive shape and colour tied to our lapels, one marked with which "club"we belong to, the other saying "If found please return to xxxx coach park by 6.30 pm. The labels changed every year.

It was usually to Cleethorpes, (great bun fights in the Winter Gardens Hall), or to Skeggy or Scarborough. I don't ever remember a club trip to Mablethorpe or Brid, nor for that matter to anywhere west of Sheffield.

I could never work out why I was repeatedly coach-sick on the way there but was fine on the way home when I was full of sweets, fizzy pop and all sorts of hot dogs and other rubbish.

Great memories.   Oh Well !

hilldweller