Mary Gentle Cafe on Cambridge Street

Stunmon

It must have been before early 1956 but don't know the first date. Elsewhere on this site suggests 1946 for Tuckwoods.

That's where I remember it, on Howard Street.  Sometimes went there when I was at the Polytechnic late 60s..

Known fondly as Gentle Mary’s, I recall it as being clean and inexpensive with good portions of very well cooked food. I’m sure that there was a similar one nearby called Stewart’s, or something similar.

55 minutes ago, DaveJC said:

Known fondly as Gentle Mary’s, I recall it as being clean and inexpensive with good portions of very well cooked food. I’m sure that there was a similar one nearby called Stewart’s, or something similar.

Yes, Stewart's was on Union Street opposite The Empire. Many of the famous acts at the Empire used to dine in Stewart's.

15 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes, Stewart's was on Union Street opposite The Empire. Many of the famous acts at the Empire used to dine in Stewart's.

Yes, it was next or close to the bottom of the Cambridge Arcade, if my memory serves. It lasted well into the days of the Empire trading as a cinema named the Palace.

2 minutes ago, DaveJC said:

Yes, it was next or close to the bottom of the Cambridge Arcade, if my memory serves. It lasted well into the days of the Empire trading as a cinema named the Palace.

I immediately realised that the Empire was just up the road, on the corner of Union Street and Charles Street.