Sheffield Food and Drink manufacturers

lysandernovo

Thinking about Thorntons reminded me of how our City has lost so many of its old food and drink manufacturers. Here are a few I remember.  Some like Hendersons are still around....others like Cunninghams and Thorntons have moved. It would be nice to have a comprehensive list....

Stones Brewery

Hope and Anchor Brewery

Tennants Brewery

Wards Brewery

Fletchers Bread

Gunstones Bread

Davy's Bread

Dixons Sweets

Maxons Sweets

Burdalls Gravy Salts

Fowlers Pickles

Hulley's Ice cream

😃

There’s a house, in fact the only house on Cherry Street South which seems to me had connections to the next door Hope and Anchor brewery, it still retains the brewerys old colour, if any one knows about this house please post.

The emphasis on manufacture has changed to that of public sector work, and who can blame them for off loading a terraced in a London suburb for a detached in a good area of Sheffield? Many indigenous Sheffield folk have followed the work, which doesn’t appear to be a priority here anymore. There are very few Sheffield accents where I live, I’m sure that they wouldn’t have a clue   about the old forms mentioned.

An interesting opinion and I am sure many locals will not remember, or even know of  the days, when the City was a great manufacturing centre for more than steel....which seems still to be the opinion of many who do not know the City's current state. However, this is a history forum isn't it?

Bowlers Potted Meat :     They were located in a terrace of 18th century cottages on Bradway Road.

Cunningham's Pickles :    In his book "By George"  George Cunningham talks about his home on Clarence Street in the 1930s and sitting in front of the fire peeling onions with his Mum & Dad.  "when the onions were bottled capped and labelled, Dad packed them into a suitcase and went out to sell them, He had to walk or get on a tram and sometimes he would come home tired and wet, with a nearly full case and put a few shillings on the table"

He also talks about his Grandfather George Barringer having a pickle and dry salting factory and shop on Queen Street in the 1890s.

5 hours ago, lysandernovo said:

An interesting opinion and I am sure many locals will not remember, or even know of  the days, when the City was a great manufacturing centre for more than steel....which seems still to be the opinion of many who do not know the City's current state. However, this is a history forum isn't it?

Yes you’re quite right, however history can teach us how to do and not to do. We’re not going to be a great manufacturing centre again any time soon. What I have difficulty with is how the city makes a future out of public sector paper pushing, and before anyone steps in with their size 12’s, I’m not attacking the public sector workers, just asking a question about the logistics.  Much of the retail section is on it’s last legs, even Meadowhall has empty units (so I am told), licensed premises are closing at an alarming speed of knots, I reckon that it will take Sheffield’s John Lewis  store to shake a seven for the penny to drop.

It’s blatantly obvious that our ancestors had far more bottle than their well educated, well fed descendants, perhaps we need more pain to give us the incentive to sort out our city by our own efforts.

Another "potted dog" manufacturer....Binghams!

A friend, who knew the founder of Fowlers Pickles, tells me he once remarked...." I made a fortune out of pickled onions....but the cost was I lost my sense of smell"

Whilst checking on Burdall's Dandelion and Burdock drink I find we went over this topic back in 2018!🙄

• Like 1

Taggy's Ice Cream - best ice cream ever. Had a very distinctive taste that I assume was from the Jersey milk.

Closest I have ever come to Taggy's is Rossi's on Weymouth sea front. They don't have flavours - it's just ice cream and it is excellent. Worth seeking out if you are there.