Thornton’s Chocolate Cabins 1911-????

DaveJC

Always the best gift for mother, nan, wife etc, to close all branches, come on Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Tesco and save this iconic brand. I don’t buy chocolate for myself, but can’t resist nicking one of the wife’s.

Never touch Thornton's products myself ever since they gave up on hygiene 20-odd years ago and said that all their products "may contain nuts".

1 hour ago, MartinR said:

Never touch Thornton's products myself ever since they gave up on hygiene 20-odd years ago and said that all their products "may contain nuts".

Well if you are saying that Thornton’s have failed every hygiene inspection for the past 20 years, please expand. Also if I suffered from a nut allergy and read that a product that I was considering purchasing ‘may contain nuts’ I wouldn’t buy it , let alone eat it. And just a throw away fact, this company started in Sheffield in 1911 is likely to loose circa 600 jobs.

As soon as you see that message you know that either they can't be bothered to clean equipment properly, or else the lawyers are making them print it and as such it is meaningless.  For safety's sake I assume the former.  Thornton's used to be great, but as I said about 20-odd years ago their shops started issuing the warnings.  As I said I never touch them myself, YMMV.

Thorntons were a Sheffield brand ....a pleasant childhood memory in the days of sweet rationing.... They were a  welcome diversification from  the City's staples of steel and engineering. Sadly, they moved out of the City into Derbyshire some years ago. It would seem a combination of the fairly recent take over by a multi-national ( whose products , in my humble opinion, are not in the same league as are Thorntons )and the disastrous commercial affects of Covid 19 seem to have put the seal on those little shops, with staff wearing a distinctive uniform, selling the best chocolates ( with or without nuts) and above all else...Special Toffee. Another sad day!

As for the warning very many food products now carry this in order to minimise the chances of litigation should an odd piece of nut escape from the cleaning process and accidently become incorporated in another product. This is standard practice for most food manufacturere whose production lines sometimes included nuts!  Accusing them of breaches in hygeine regulations really shouldn't be made without proof!🙄

• Like 2

Do/did they still sell the boxes of toffee pieces with the plastic sheet inside separating the two layers?

I recall when I was a kid my grandad loved Thorntons toffee.

Does anyone know why they chose to call their first shop a "Kabin" instead of the usual English spelling "Cabin".

Looking them up on the internet, I was surprised to see that the company had been taken over by Ferrero, makers of the truly nauseating Rocher.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Does anyone know why they chose to call their first shop a "Kabin" instead of the usual English spelling "Cabin".

Looking them up on the internet, I was surprised to see that the company had been taken over by Ferrero, makers of the truly nauseating Rocher.

It is now fair.y obvious that Ferrero want to trade the Thornton’s name from concessions and on-line, their purchase has run foul of the Corona-19 trading restrictions, and so will say many more before this virus has run it’s course.

Yes ,seems fairly obvious this is the plan when ,from time to time, I see some Thorntons products for sale in my local Morrisons.

Although living abroad for many years, whenever we visited the UK, we always returned home with kilos of the special toffee 

Quite an extensive article in today's Guardian covering the demise of Thorntons shops. I hadn't realised that many were franchises and couldn't compete with the likes of Wilko who were selling their chocolates much cheaper!

Just had a look at Wilko’s web site, they have a couple of brands other than the usual cheap and cheerful, but that is not the problem. If folk aren’t buying the Thornton’s brand it can only be attributed to one or more of the following:-

Quality

Variety

Price

Service

Ferrero needed to examine all aspects of the Thornton’s brand, my amateur suggestion is that price and location are the villains of the piece. As they are divesting themselves of both city/town centre premises and personnel costs they have done just that, sad that it is for the 600 staff.

I really don't see Thorntons chocolate as being any better than other main brands, in fact I see it as over priced and tastes bland. Maybe it was really nice chocolate back in the day, but the market is swamped with chocolate brands now.

Their "Special Toffee" was/is, in my humble opinion, without equal.

Cadbury's chocolates have gone down the pan since they were taken over by Kraft ( or whatever their global name now is). Let us hope Ferrero recognise a good brand and continue  to serve its devotees with what they want!😉

So, no theories on the "Kabin" spelling, then? It occurs to me that, Germanic-looking as it is, it can't have made a good impression during the two World Wars when anti-German sentiment was rife.

As I said earlier, my suggestion is a trade name for its shops. The mispelt Kabin would attract attention rather than have any suggestion of being the German "kabine". But an interesting thought!

Well if F Scott Fitzgerald spelt Yacht as Yatch and Ernest Hemingway spelt Loving as Loveing I reckon that Joseph Thornton could have spelt Cabin as Kabin. 
😊

9 minutes ago, lysandernovo said:

As I said earlier, my suggestion is a trade name for its shops. The mispelt Kabin would attract attention rather than have any suggestion of being the German "kabine". But an interesting thought!

Sorry, yes, I missed that. Still doesn't really explain it, though.

I'll have a Cit Cat instead.

Just had a quick google and a fairly new business selling mainly American candy are called....Candy Kabin.. They are based in Rochdale!

Just now, lysandernovo said:

Just had a quick google and a fairly new business selling mainly American candy are called....Candy Kabin.. They are based in Rochdale!

Not Kandy Cabin, then?

Not that one would attribute high literacy levels to folk from them parts.

The land of "Our Gracie"....I wonder did she eat chocolates whilst sheltering from the "Four Seasons"?