Hay family in Sheffield

Glen Jones

I've spent many years researching my family tree and found a lot of links to Sheffield back into the 1800's. There's one line by the surname of Hay which are more recent which I'm interested in and wonder if there are still living descendants in the area. 

Arthur Hay and Frances Mary Deverell Beechey both originate from Lincolnshire, they married in Notts in Sep 1916 and had two children in the Newark RD in 1920 and 1923.

The family settled in Sheffield some time after 1923. Arthur died in Wolverhampton in 1959 though his probate record states usual address as 37 Greystones Road, Sheffield, probate to his widow,
Frances died in 1977 though it doesn't appear that there is a probate record for her. Their son Dennis 1920-2005 married in Sheffield in the 1950's and died in Sheffield RD in 2005. The daughter born in 1923 may still be alive and possibly married twice, she might have been involved with the book detailing the history of Firvale hospital but I can't be certain. 

I'd like to track down the burials and find any living relatives, I have quite a bit of detail on the Hay family. The Beechey family are well documented and 5 brothers of Mary died in WW1, they are commemorated not  only in war graves but also on the grave of their mother Amy in Lincoln.  

The Lincs Regimental website gives a bit more detail about the brothers who gave their lives in WWI and includes some details and photographs. 

Having checked out a number of kellys directories it would appear the address is actually 37 Greystones Grange Road.

8 hours ago, RichardS said:

Having checked out a number of kellys directories it would appear the address is actually 37 Greystones Grange Road.

Correct, I made the mistake typing out the details. I should really send for the probate though I doubt he made any requests regarding his final resting place in it and as he died in Wolverhampton that might have changed things anyway. The death cert will have to join the list of about 30 others I'd like to buy.