50 Howard Street

Jonty77

Hi all. I'm doing a masters at Sheffield Hallam, and currently researching some buildings on Howard Street. Does anyone happen to know roughly when 50 Howard Street was demolished. It was next to the re-sited Milners Music shop, and is now just a yard facing the Globe pub. 50 Howard Street still appears on historical maps from the 1970s, but I can't find maps with good enough resolution for the 80s or 90s. If anyone can shed some light I'd be hugely grateful. 

Thanks so much

Jonty

1893 DIRECTORY LISTING

sorry listing has arrived twice but you get the drift.

image.png.e479053def48f1349aeec42458d5bc09.png                                                                                                                image.thumb.png.bd30298eb11ede5699131f9b4cd33101.png

image.png

On 11/03/2021 at 01:59, Jonty77 said:

Hi all. I'm doing a masters at Sheffield Hallam, and currently researching some buildings on Howard Street. Does anyone happen to know roughly when 50 Howard Street was demolished. It was next to the re-sited Milners Music shop, and is now just a yard facing the Globe pub. 50 Howard Street still appears on historical maps from the 1970s, but I can't find maps with good enough resolution for the 80s or 90s. If anyone can shed some light I'd be hugely grateful. 

Thanks so much

Jonty

To my knowledge it started the demolition and had to stop until the new financial year as they had run out of funds for the compulsory purchase of the County Hotel, after the demolition of the County the land was made safe as one digger fellinto the cellars of said County Hotel after which the science Centre was built only a couple of months after 

If you find when  science centre was built you will be very close to your answer hope this helps 

Good hunting

Charles Gilson