Council Planning applications - a great source for plans!

History dude

I recently became aware of a source of plans for old buildings and other historical stuff that some of you might not know about. That of the Sheffield Council Planning Applications. The link is below:

Sheffield Planning Applications

All you need to do is either type a keyword or a postcode into the search box and hopefully you find some useful applications, which are not just the current ones, but can be many years old. You have to go through each result. And if the application had documents that will show up as a tab!

For example if somebody needed to do some work to an old building then it would require permission. And often there are lots of documents such as drawings of the building (in scale) as it currently is! These come in PDF format too and you can download them free of charge. There's also lots of other information too, for example if the Coal Authority is contacted or Yorkshire Water.

For instance by typing in "Nunnery" I came across the plans of the original Nunnery Goods shed. With detailed drawings, including the interior.

I also found the application for the extension of Prince Edward School, which if you remember I mentioned destroyed the Sheffield Park Stone wall. There wasn't even a mention of the wall in them! Though there was a large debate on the old coal mine shaft which had to be topped off. The people in charge of the sewer system also wanted them to build a fat/grease trap if any kitchen was to be incorporated. So at least that problem shouldn't be a big problem in the future!