THE GAUMONT CINEMA Sheffield

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.35.48.jpg
Sheffield City Hall under construction with The Gaumont Cinema in the background (was known as The Regent Cinema at this point).

The building on the extreme right of the photo is The Albert Hall in Barkers Pool

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheffield History

• John T

• John Marshall

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way !! That's brilliant !!! ha ha ha !! Nice to 'sea' you to 'sea' you nice ! Do you have any photo's or stuff from the place ?

Here's a photo I took whilst experimenting with my camera on an open shutter You'll also find a copy here: http://www.rocknroll.force9.co.uk/cinemas/...o7.html#kingdom I used to freq

I used to sit outside the Gaumont every night/day for hours on end from mid 1975 to 1981. (I did go home in those years) Nobody recognised me at all most of the time. Waiting and waiting for the shows

Posted Images

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.40.39.jpg
The new interior of The Gaumont Cinema after the refurbishment in the mid 1960's

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.41.51.jpg

The plush and luxurious Pullman seating in The Gaumont after the refurbishment

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.44.17.jpg

The Gaumont Cinema foyer area after the refurbishment in the 1960's

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.47.13.jpg
The entrance to The Gaumont Cinema in Barkers Pool. 

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 14.14.57.jpg

Another great and rare look at The Gaumont (with The Regent signage) in Barkers Pool

• 3 weeks later...
John Allison
On 16/02/2007 at 15:48, Sheffield History said:

THE GAUMONT CINEMA

Barkers Pool - Sheffield

gaumont.jpg

Heading from the top of fargate towards the city hall the Gaumont was the big building on your left

PICTURES

sheffieldg2.jpgsheffieldg.jpgsheffieldg3.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Picture Sheffield.

I recall playing my Double Bass in the Green Room at the Gaumont in the early 1960’s. I seem to recall it was over the main front entrance. Can’t remember who was on piano!

Navvy

I used to sit outside the Gaumont every night/day for hours on end from mid 1975 to 1981. (I did go home in those years) Nobody recognised me at all most of the time. Waiting and waiting for the shows or films to finish. So boring I used to fall asleep some nights/days. I was (if you've not guessed it) a Black Cab driver. At the time buses ran anywhere and everywhere for 10p. Then the British Steel strike and bad weather and, and, and... 

Oh! Those happy days.. I'm lieing.. Took my family there to watch all the 3 Star Wars in one sitting. Can't remember the year, but, it wasn't as boring as sitting outside with the cab. And I really hate Star Wars..

• Like 1
Reiver

Saw the Rolling Stones play there in October 1965.  All you could hear was girls screaming!  My ears were still ringing three days later!!!  It was 30 years before I went to see them again at Don Valley Stadium. 

tozzin

The outside wall on Burgess Street was peppered with shrapnel marks, just like the ones left on the base of the Cenotaph. The ones on the City Hall were filled in as you can plainly see today.

Hopman
7 hours ago, Navvy said:

Can't remember the year, but, it wasn't as boring as sitting outside with the cab.

Possibly 1984, as the last of the three came out the previous year.

Lemmy117

I remember going to the Gaumont in 1977 to see the press showing of Star Wars, 10am on a Thursday morning. Normally not many there for these events, but packed out that day!

For a short time I used to work in the council offices in New Oxford House, just opposite the cinema. Once a week everyone used to watch the guy putting up the new lettering on the front advertising what  films were on and times etc. These were all done letter by letter, and if anyone spotted a spelling mistake and rang the cinema they would get a free pair of tickets, never heard of anyone getting them though.

Nigel L

• 1 month later...