KELLEY CUPS

CJE638

Doing some research into old football competitions I came across the name Councillor Fred Kelley. He was a Sheffield Councillor representing the Ecclesall Ward between 1901-1910. as well as being a JP. He eventually became MP for Rotherham between 1918 and 1923. During the war he became a Major and was then knighted in  1923.

Having run several brewery's in Sheffield, he was very much into sports. I started looking into two football competitions he donated cups to, both charitable competition, one at Woodhouse and one at Hoyland Common. However, I then found reports of cups in his name for all sorts of other sports, including cricket, fishing, bowls, rounders, rifle shooting, billiards and a connection with the under 18's at Sheffield United Harriers. I have never come across anybody in local sports with so many cups for different activities in their name. Somebody might trump me on that.

It would be nice to get further information on the person, and even if there are any distant relatives still living in the area.

However, my  main question is, does anybody know the whereabouts of any of these cups he donated, and are any still in use

• Like 1

You mention that Fred Kelly was involved in several breweries which reminded me that in Wharncliffe Hall there is/was a silver presentation  shield, which was on one of the mantlepieces, awarded by Truswell's Brewery which was on Eyre Lane, for a football competition of some kind.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 17:13, CJE638 said:

Doing some research into old football competitions I came across the name Councillor Fred Kelley. He was a Sheffield Councillor representing the Ecclesall Ward between 1901-1910. as well as being a JP. He eventually became MP for Rotherham between 1918 and 1923. During the war he became a Major and was then knighted in  1923.

Having run several brewery's in Sheffield, he was very much into sports. I started looking into two football competitions he donated cups to, both charitable competition, one at Woodhouse and one at Hoyland Common. However, I then found reports of cups in his name for all sorts of other sports, including cricket, fishing, bowls, rounders, rifle shooting, billiards and a connection with the under 18's at Sheffield United Harriers. I have never come across anybody in local sports with so many cups for different activities in their name. Somebody might trump me on that.

It would be nice to get further information on the person, and even if there are any distant relatives still living in the area.

However, my  main question is, does anybody know the whereabouts of any of these cups he donated, and are any still in use

I'd definitely also post this on the Sheffield History forum

Here 👉  https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

They'll 100% know everything about this on there