Old Ecclesfield

Tony Moorwood

My family came from Ecclesfield, and I know that there are references to them in a book called "An Old Ecclesfield Diary" by Septimus Lister which is long out of print. Does anyone know whether it is possible to get a copy, perhaps a scanned one, or else whether any library or other organisation has copies of the book? Any information would be really appreciated.

I've had a quick look on the internet for you.  There is some online information here.  The only library holding a copy in the UK appears to be the British Library.  I don't know if interloans can get it for you when the libraries reopen, failing that there is rather a nice railway leading down to London!  The OCLC number is 771623301.  More hopefully, the Universities of Sheffield and of York appear to have microfilmed versions, but the entry isn't 100% clear so do check.  The Family History Library of the Mormon Church holds a microfilmed copy in Salt Lake City which is "digitally available online" but "viewable with additional restrictions".

17 hours ago, Tony Moorwood said:

My family came from Ecclesfield, and I know that there are references to them in a book called "An Old Ecclesfield Diary" by Septimus Lister which is long out of print. Does anyone know whether it is possible to get a copy, perhaps a scanned one, or else whether any library or other organisation has copies of the book? Any information would be really appreciated.

Do you have a name for your family, I may be able to help.

17 minutes ago, Lyn 1 said:

Local studies library in Sheffield has a copy when it opens at some point. 

Interesting that WorldCat doesn't know about that one.

20 hours ago, Tony Moorwood said:

Sadly not the book you are looking for but Is this any good to you about Nathaniel Moorwood.

Sheffield Register, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, & Nottinghamshire Universal Advertiser 26 August 1791

Sheffield 7A.JPG

Take a look at this

http://www.*****.co.uk/Old_diary.htm

someone seems to have transcribed a small extract of the diary into a site dedicated to the history of Ecclesfield, which may also be of interest to you

http://www.*****.co.uk/index.htm

it does say in the further reading section of this site that the diary is available for viewing in the local studies library

http://www.*****.co.uk/bibliography.htm#5

(Despite the asterisks, the links do work - it’s the profanity filters at work again 😁)

Also, you might be able to obtain a copy from members of this site, following this previous post