Sheaf View Hotel, Heeley

leksand

sheafview1935-forSH.jpg.ffcd778f550937735dffb11a5fda9462.jpg

(picture from John Smith's photo archive)

Above is the Sheaf View Hotel, pictured in 1935 for owners John Smith's, shortly before alterations in which the dram shop was taken into the smoke room and off sales were transferred to a new hatch behind the door to left of picture (the tap room entrance). Does anyone remember it when it was just two rooms in the area which is now seating and the route between the front entrance and the edge of the bar concourse area?

There is a large, foggy area in the history of this pub - within living memory of many - which I'm hoping to demist a little. What records remain suggest the Sheaf View had an extended period of closure and had to be relicensed, reopening in 2000. However, I think it may have had an earlier period of closure and I wonder whether anyone can throw any light on the validity of this assumption.

I have a note of a suggested magistrates' reference used for the Sheaf View which indicates it had a new licence granted around 1985. The simplest explanation of this grant, given that the pub was still a beerhouse in the late 60's, is that it stayed licensed for beer only until 1985. However, there are a few things which lead me to think this wasn't what happened.

Firstly, in the early 80's a series of outlandish plans to expand the premises (to 3 or 4 times larger than it is now) were approved but never enacted. Eventually a lesser extension, providing the bulk of today's floor area, was, seemingly, carried out. This latter project, I think, would have been completed around 1985. Historically, when the upgrading of a licence was a restricted process, improvement, expansion or even rebuilding of premises might be a requirement, though this had ceased to be the norm long before the 80's.

This makes me think that, perhaps, the Sheaf had been a pub (fullly licensed) in the 70's, closed, and was taken up as a new venture in the 80's before closing again whenever this licence was left to lapse. Another point which lends to this idea is that the 80's extension doesn't appear to have had anything to do with John Smith's, the house's historical owner.

If you have any recollections of the place from the 60's onward I'd be very interested to read them.
Do you remember drinking anything other that beer in there before 1985?
Do you remember drinking any beer other than John Smith's before the 80's?
Is the idea that it was shut for an extended period in the '70s plausible, or was it simply considered too small to become a pub?
How long was it shut before it was resurrected in 2000?
Do you know of anyone who ran it within this period?
(Prior to the new grant in 2000, the last landlord I know of is Ernest Morton who took it on in 1968)

MartinR

I understand that under the old licensing system (pre-Blair) a pub was required to open at least once a day (possibly once each session) and could loose the license if they failed to do so without good cause.  Off topic, but relevant, my late mother recalled as a girl seeing blitzed pubs in Coventry opening to sell just a couple of bottles to keep the licence going.

casmey

When I moved to Sheffield in 1976 the Sheaf View was still open as a John Smith's tied house - it may well have been beer only, though I doubt it as the last of these were likely all upgraded by the 1960s to full-on licenses.

I believe it probably closed around 1979/early '80s and sold by John Smith's.

The plans you refer to were to convert it into a MASSIVE banqueting/dance suite; planning permission was granted, but then the new owner changed his mind and put it for auction - I have a copy of theauction prospectus - somewhere.

It then remains derelict for a number of years.

• Like 1
leksand
5 hours ago, casmey said:

When I moved to Sheffield in 1976 the Sheaf View was still open as a John Smith's tied house - it may well have been beer only, though I doubt it as the last of these were likely all upgraded by the 1960s to full-on licenses.

I believe it probably closed around 1979/early '80s and sold by John Smith's.

The plans you refer to were to convert it into a MASSIVE banqueting/dance suite; planning permission was granted, but then the new owner changed his mind and put it for auction - I have a copy of theauction prospectus - somewhere.

It then remains derelict for a number of years.

Thats wonderful - many thanks. It's great to know that useful predictions can be arrived at through modelling the old procedures, even though the formal records are lost. I'm inclined to agree, given your post, that it probably was upgraded to a pub before 1985. John Smith's certainly were fairly active during the late 60's in upgrading their remaining Sheffield beerhouses, but at present there remain too many "uncertains" to tell whether it was done as company policy, or on the request of licensees. There appears a reasonable chance that the Sheaf was one of the missing grants of 1969.

12 hours ago, MartinR said:

I understand that under the old licensing system (pre-Blair) a pub was required to open at least once a day (possibly once each session) and could loose the license if they failed to do so without good cause.  Off topic, but relevant, my late mother recalled as a girl seeing blitzed pubs in Coventry opening to sell just a couple of bottles to keep the licence going.

Cheers Martin,

I've seen that suggested before but am fairly confident it is apochryphal. Certainly during the period of highest policing levels, when any such legislation might feasibly have been enforced, it wasn't. I expect the idea probably arises from misinterpretation of one time residential requirements for certain licences or even from ancient requirements/rites for provision to travellers. The requirement to open would probably, in most cases, be an economic imperative for the tenant. Also after 1904, property owners might conceivably have demanded it in fear that inactivity would lead to premises being placed on the compensation list (and with few exceptions closed). Although there were supposedly instances where elaborate rebuilding procedure allowed pubs to be completely rebuilt, remaining open throughout (the Royal Standard for one, & the Stag at Broom reputedly aswell) there were numerous other cases where the old site was simply raised and a replacement built in the same position without any suspension or regrant of the licence in question. There are also a few peculiar instances of technical grants given under the proviso that excise licences for which right has been granted should not be taken out. That, it would seem to me, would be either granting in breach, or compelling misdemeanor and maybe provides reductio ad absurdum.

ceegee

From Beer Matters - April 2006 (CAMRA Publication) - a brief history of The Sheaf View

sheafview042006.jpgsheafview042006a.jpg.51d9523d628f58180dc83d0acb7f1176.jpg

• Like 1
leksand
20 hours ago, ceegee said:

From Beer Matters - April 2006 (CAMRA Publication) - a brief history of The Sheaf View

sheafview042006.jpgsheafview042006a.jpg.51d9523d628f58180dc83d0acb7f1176.jpg

Interesting article. Error strewn, as is often the case in the field, though still useful.

Any "grant" of 1879 could only be a renewal, there is not a chance it would have been granted a new "on" licence in that era. It's beer-on licence dated from before the major revisions to beerhouse law of the mid-Victorian era, when it was noted as a grocers. I'd guess that White's 1879 was the first directory the author could identify it specified as a beer retailer.

The "dram-shop" referred to wasn't a drinking room. It was simply an area partitioned from what was, at the time, the smoke room. It was in place in plans of late 1901, and was probably introduced in consequence of the Sale to Children Act (possibly even the revision of the same year). It was there simply to serve as an seperated off-sales department. As noted in the initial post, it was abolished late in 1935 or shortly thereafter.

Whilst it is quite true that the original ground floor was very small it is highly likely that in its earlier history one or more upstairs rooms were used for drinking as well (and the original staircase position is suggestive of this too). If memory serves, one of it's early landlords was a prominent functionary of Heeley Football & Cricket Clubs and they held meetings there - so it seems probable that there was a club room.

I'd be very grateful if anybody could confirm any Marston's association in the 70's. I'm inclined to think this suggestion is erroneous. All that I've seen indicates casmey's chronology is acurate for that period. Was there, perhaps, a Marston's association at some point after it's 80's reopening? Wolverhampton & Dudley (who took over Marstons), are noted in licensing documents from the 2000 reopening, though their name is struck (as is a note that Birkett's group were owners). My guess is that W&D still held some interest in the property beyond it's 90's closure and, perhaps, the latest reopening was, at least initially, some form of non-tied subletting.

Lastly, I don't understand the comment suggesting the old section is raised. I was pretty regular there for a few years and I don't remember any step down to the bar area. Was the level of bar concourse originally lower?

Sadbrewer

The Beer Matters article has got it partly at least, wrong, the pub was roofless for many years until it was taken by a chap called Mike Pidgeon, who had previously breathed life into the Miners Arms in Low Valley, Wombwell. Mike sold the Miners and took and refurbished the Sheaf View, I assume Mike borrowed some finance from Marstons as their beers were the only ones on sale during Mike's time at the pub.

Mike sold up and moved to Bradford to become the landlord of the brewery tap of The Trough Brewery in Idle.