Sheffield Grain Infrastructure

Swanr

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I have a project idea that I had to post on here as I think this is the right place to ask!

I'd like to put together 4 snapshots through time listing / showing local active grain-related infrastructure, such as flour mills, grain stores, corn exchange, merchants, potentially even arable fields, farms (if there's specific mention of grain), and significant bakeries/ovens too.

The snapshots would be approx 100 years apart - 1700s, 1800s, 1900s, 2000s - and each would be a list accompanied by a sample map (probably not the whole area contained in the list) with the relevant things marked on. The total area covered should remain static, but I'm not sure how large that area should be, probably only a couple of miles radius from the city centre depending on results as it's just to illustrate the major changes in this infrastructure over time, it doesn't have to be 100% comprehensive. A few quotes for each snapshot would also be great.

Would anyone be interested in looking out some resources for this? I would just be blindly googling so I could do with help from some proper local history sleuths!

Rich

It may be a challenge following places through time as they could often be repurposed - eg to cutlers wheels or tilts. Any facility in the town centre would be subject to re-development.

The original mill would be the Town Mill, appearing in records from the 12th Century. The site was sold to the Tennant and Moore brewers in 1877 - does that count as grain usage?

Corn Exchange built by 12th Duke in 1830, replaced in 1881 and burnt down in 1947, and ruins demolished by 1964.

Tithe Barn in Concord Park - still much unchanged since possibly the 1400's - needs a dendro survey on the crucks really to accurately date it.

Sheaf Steam Corn Mills in the Ponds/Shude Lane from possibly 1767, 1825 -1890  and the Star Corn Mill (near the Wicker Arches)

Resources that may help:

This forum

David Crossley's book "Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers"

PictureSheffield website for historical maps, engravings, photos

Sheffield Archives on-line catalogue

Sheffield Indexers website for transcribed Trade Directories

Insurance Maps on British Library website (viewer is broken at the moment)

National Library of Scotland website for old maps

Excellent, thanks for that, gives me lots of useful places to start hunting, and some significant locations in town.

Yes, breweries (and maltings) would also count.