Filecutters

andyc

Copyright Sheffield Libraries

Filecutters outside a filecutting shop somewhere around Channing Street/Greaves Street/Grammar Street. I did have the exact location but have lost the information. Seems to be early c20. Anyone recognise anyone?

hi andyc I think its woodland st and swann-mortons started in this workshop.

Hi Beemerboy, what evidence for Woodland Street and Swann Mortons (founded 1932) please ?

hi andyc I think its woodland st and swann-mortons started in this workshop.

My wife worked at Swann Morton for a number of years and knew Walter Swann well. He had very advanced ideas about how a workforce should be treated. She doesn't think that the tall gent in an apron at the back is Mr. Swann and there is no sign of Miss Fairweather who would surely be in the photo. There is a whole section devoted to the history of Swann Morton in a book called Golden Years of Sheffield. This shows a photo of the front of the Woodland Street workshop, It looks similar but there is a lintel and a course of bricks above the window and the panes of glass are a different shape. Also Swann Mortons when they first started used to make razor blades before they expanded into scalpels, to the best of my knowledge they had no connection with file cutting.

HD

P.S. I've found the photo on Picture Sheffield which identifies them as filecutters outside their workshop in Grammer Street.

Original caption : Group of Workers outside an unnamed File Cutting Shop in Grammar Street, possibly rear of No 192, where several file cutters worked

HD

... unnamed File Cutting Shop in Grammar Street, possibly rear of No 192, where several file cutters worked

Thomas Oates, File cutter, back of 192 Grammar Street - only one I could find on Grammar Street. (1911)

This one transcribed as Grammer Street.

Thomas Oates, File cutter, back of 192 Grammar Street - only one I could find on Grammar Street. (1911)

Lying; found another couple :

Mrs Lottie Green, File cutter, back of 192 Grammer Street (1911)

and William Greaves, File cutter, back of 192 Grammar Street (1911)

Guest beemerboy

richardb,I didnt say it was swannsI said it was where they started on woodland st,

hilldweller,you cant tell me much about swanns my late wife worked there for 30yrs she was export manager and I new mr swann and miss fairweather very well.

richardb,I didnt say it was swannsI said it was where they started on woodland st,

hilldweller,you cant tell me much about swanns my late wife worked there for 30yrs she was export manager and I new mr swann and miss fairweather very well.

No problem Beemerboy :rolleyes:

Copyright Sheffield Libraries

Filecutters outside a filecutting shop somewhere around Channing Street/Greaves Street/Grammar Street. I did have the exact location but have lost the information. Seems to be early c20. Anyone recognise anyone?

My grandfather, Albert Clethro, had a small filecutting shop at the rear of the row of houses at the top of King James Street.

My grandfather, Albert Clethro, had a small filecutting shop at the rear of the row of houses at the top of King James Street.

Back of 185 King James' Street to be exact (in 1919)

On 30/12/2009 at 15:17, RichardB said:

Lying; found another couple :

Mrs Lottie Green, File cutter, back of 192 Grammer Street (1911)

and William Greaves, File cutter, back of 192 Grammar Street (1911)

Hi, this is the address where Thomas OATES daughter Jessie lived when she married Kirk Woodmansey in 1890 

Then I find this! Its fantastic thanks 😊