HELP! Service History of William Osborn & Frank Osborne (HMS Barham)

Andrea B

I am trying to firstly find out details of my great grandfather's service record. He is listed as 'soldier' on my great aunt's baptism entry in 1916 but beyond that I have no further information. Is there anywhere I can check the information without having to pay for further subscriptions?? He was born in Sheffield on 01.05.1887.

Secondly, my great uncle Frank (William's son) died on HMS Barham on 25th November 1941. Again, where would i be able to view his service papers (if they have survived). He was also born in Sheffield 08.07.1919.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

19 hours ago, Andrea B said:

I am trying to firstly find out details of my great grandfather's service record. He is listed as 'soldier' on my great aunt's baptism entry in 1916 but beyond that I have no further information. Is there anywhere I can check the information without having to pay for further subscriptions?? He was born in Sheffield on 01.05.1887.

Secondly, my great uncle Frank (William's son) died on HMS Barham on 25th November 1941. Again, where would i be able to view his service papers (if they have survived). He was also born in Sheffield 08.07.1919.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have looked on ancestry & without knowing William's Regiment or service number I havent managed to find a record that is definately his. However don't forget around 60% of all WW1 service records were lost in a WW2 fire.   All Medal Rolls are available but few show birthplace so again without Regiment or service number iis not possible to locate a Medal Roll .

All I can find about Frank is his Commonwealth War Grave Registration which assume you have found on the CWGC site his number being D/JX176692 & he is remembered Panel 48 column 1 of the Plymouth Memorial.

39 minutes ago, johnm said:

I have looked on ancestry & without knowing William's Regiment or service number I havent managed to find a record that is definately his. However don't forget around 60% of all WW1 service records were lost in a WW2 fire.   All Medal Rolls are available but few show birthplace so again without Regiment or service number iis not possible to locate a Medal Roll .

All I can find about Frank is his Commonwealth War Grave Registration which assume you have found on the CWGC site his number being D/JX176692 & he is remembered Panel 48 column 1 of the Plymouth Memorial.

Thanks for taking the time to look. I will have to find out how they enlisted etc and local regiments and start from there if possible. I do have the info regarding Frank and hope to be able to find service papers. He died on the Barham and I have been reading some survivors accounts which are quite harrowing. Thanks again as it is much appreciated. 

DD4BAD69-A427-4FB1-A5E1-6616523B592C.jpeg

Hi again Andrea,  If there are any service records for either William or Frank the only way to get them is by paying £30 for each . You will need to know their date of birth & have a copy of death certificate. Ideally you will be their next of kin or can get next of kin to sign the form. Beware, at present because of Covid the wait time has been nearly a year for army records.  To get them go to www.gov.uk  & search for military service records

Best of luck, John

22 hours ago, johnm said:

Hi again Andrea,  If there are any service records for either William or Frank the only way to get them is by paying £30 for each . You will need to know their date of birth & have a copy of death certificate. Ideally you will be their next of kin or can get next of kin to sign the form. Beware, at present because of Covid the wait time has been nearly a year for army records.  To get them go to www.gov.uk  & search for military service records

Best of luck, John

Thanks John, I will look at this today. I am aware of a website that is similar to ancestry but focuses on military so I will also make enquiries with them today. Thanks again. 

On 11/02/2021 at 08:13, Andrea B said:

Thanks John, I will look at this today. I am aware of a website that is similar to ancestry but focuses on military so I will also make enquiries with them today. Thanks again. 

If it's Forces War Records, I wouldnt waste your money....it promises far more than it delivers. WW2 records are available from the MOD, £30 as Johnm has suggested.

As for William's WW1 Service record you can't buy it as such, if it is one of the 30 odd percent that survived the blitz it will be available on Ancestry or Findmypast, if it's not on there it will have gone up in smoke like so many others. If you have or know anyone who has his medals you can make a start, his name, serial number and regiment are impressed around the edge. If you have a photo of him in uniform, sometimes a Regt can be identified. Other than that addresses and a newspaper search can sometimes turn things up if he was wounded or decorated at any time.

Sometimes casualty and pension records are available but you need an address, service number or Regiment as a starting place.

17 minutes ago, Sadbrewer said:

If it's Forces War Records, I wouldnt waste your money....it promises far more than it delivers. WW2 records are available from the MOD, £30 as Johnm has suggested.

As for William's WW1 Service record you can't buy it as such, if it is one of the 30 odd percent that survived the blitz it will be available on Ancestry or Findmypast, if it's not on there it will have gone up in smoke like so many others. If you have or know anyone who has his medals you can make a start, his name, serial number and regiment are impressed around the edge. If you have a photo of him in uniform, sometimes a Regt can be identified. Other than that addresses and a newspaper search can sometimes turn things up if he was wounded or decorated at any time.

Sometimes casualty and pension records are available but you need an address, service number or Regiment as a starting place.

Thank you! I can’t find his service number but do know the address he was living at. Are Ww2 records equally difficult?? I have my great uncles service number etc but can’t find his records online so might go down the MOD route. Thanks again 

1 minute ago, Andrea B said:

Thank you! I can’t find his service number but do know the address he was living at. Are Ww2 records equally difficult?? I have my great uncles service number etc but can’t find his records online so might go down the MOD route. Thanks again 

WW2 records are safe, you just need to contact the MOD and fill the forms out and pay the money.

If you want to give us as many details as you know about William I can have a look. I have just found a William Osborne in the Royal Army Service Corps from Sheffield, the papers mention a sister Alice living on Bailey Street.

5 hours ago, Sadbrewer said:

WW2 records are safe, you just need to contact the MOD and fill the forms out and pay the money.

If you want to give us as many details as you know about William I can have a look. I have just found a William Osborne in the Royal Army Service Corps from Sheffield, the papers mention a sister Alice living on Bailey Street.

Ah that’s really kind of you. I have seen the info in the William you mentioned but he is a different one. My great grandfather lived at Hermitage Street, was married to Elvina and his dad of birth was 1 May 1887. Thanks for this!