Goulder terrace carbrook

dawn

my grandparents irene and tom hendley lived there around 1933 

my dad maurice roberts [hendley] went to carbrook c of e school around 1936 

my auntie avril used to go to a local dancing school 

it was a long time ago   just wondered if anyone knew them !!!

dad had a friend called jo leather 

i had lots of great auntie and uncles who lived around that area 

auntie vera and uncle bill sykes lived in bee st    their daughter carol used to do hairdressing in their front room!!

Here's the 1939 Register for Goulder Terrace:

298695157_GoulderTerrace1939_1.thumb.jpg.03238d71ac29f9e98e50256b98c9bac8.jpg

My dad's illegitimate aunt Lizzie lived at number 2 Goulder Place (as it was in 1911), but by the 1930's they'd moved to Wincobank.

morning edmund

thank you so much for goulder terrace info 

iv printed it out and taking it to dad   maurice hendley [was roberts] now 89yrs old born in 1931 

avril hendley/wostenholme is living in dore 

sorry my dad is not mentioned on the document 

thanks again 

will post more family names etc just to see if anymore info comes up 

i know its unlikely as it was a long time ago !!😃

kind regards

dawn 

There are no entries for Goulder Place in the 1933 Kelly's Directory, but here is Attercliffe Common:

1212701010_AttercliffeCommon1933.png.4b8841d1f603df7129408da91c7426e2.png

and a map showing the area in 1954:

953445529_GoulderPlace1954.png.7752d646dbbf69f32a6750be2f0474b4.png

Maybe your dad remembers something of the story of "the black lady" (though he'd only be 8 years old when it happened).  Beatrice Baxter (aged 44) of Goulder Place was also known as Mrs Dearden. In December she and three others were charged with conspiracy to produce miscarriages.  Mrs Baxter "was used to midwifery". In 1927 sh'd been living at number 12 (when she was fined £1 for shoplifting from stalls in the market).

hi edmund 

was it renamed goulder terrace after goulder place ?

will ask him about the black lady 

his first job when he was 14 was for whyman shop    he had to paint a gate brown  couldnt tell him from the gate apparently when he d finished !!😀

kind regards

dawn 

Both Goulder Place and Goulder Terrace are used - mostly it is Place that's used on maps.  Possibly the buildings had a placque calling them "Goulder Terrace"?  They were built by George Goulder, a builder living at 16 Broughton Lane at the 1871 census. He was in business with his brother John as Goulder Brothers. By 1876 George was living in the new building and the address used was "Goulder's New Buildings".

Goulder Place and Goulder Terrace are different streets according to the 1950s maps on here:

Goulder Place between 334 & 336 Attercliffe Common on Map 179

goulder place.jpg

And Goulder Terrace on Map 174, between 575 & 587 Attercliffe Common

goulder terrace.jpg

evening

yes your right

dad and his family definitely lived on goulder terrace until 1956 

im printing out all this sheffield info for him to read 

he actually left sheffield when he was in his 20 s but we spent some very happy times in sheffield when we visited my grandparents on the ballifield estate in handsworth and all our many aunties uncles dotted around sheffield    i used to go to the 'washhouse ' with them   never seen as much washing !!!😀

we all live in lincoln now   my dad met my mum in lincoln @ a dance when he was doing his national service @ RAF digby nr lincoln 

i miss my happy sheffield times as obviously my grandparents and relatives have all died 

still got my dads sister who lives up in Dore 

first had tomato sausage  henderson relish curly chips brown bread that my nan sliced up !!  celery salt twiglets and cheese footballs good old yorkshire food and enormous yorkshire pudding made in a big square tin with sage and fresh onion in it that we ate before the main course !!

sheffield hole in the road C and A shop   christmas lights  cole brothers a coffee house above a cinema ? in city center 

thanks again

kind regards

dawn 

Thanks Madannie and apologies Dawn - Goulder Terrace and Goulder Place were two different areas.  The Terrace was built probably 30 years later than the Place.  When the newly built Goulder Terrace houses were sold in June 1905, together with 559-563, 567-575 and 587-591 Attercliffe Common, John Goulder, the builder, was occupying for commercial purposes number 563 which incorporated stables, carriage house, archway, joiner's shop and builders yard.  John (whose residence was 202 Attercliffe Common) was the brother of George Goulder.  John and George were the Goulder Brothers who built Goulder Place.  In 1871 John had been living at Goulder Place (shown as Goulder Buildings on the census), no doubt a recently completed project.

Goulder Terrace & Goulder Place

My Grandma, Mary Badger address when she married in 1905 was No 8 Goulder Place. I assume this was her mother and stepfather, (Sarah and John Scholey) address as Mary was in Service in Chapeltown. The only photographs of Goulder Place I've found are of the outside toilets of at the rear of Nos.1,3,5 &7 and the derelict building that fronted onto Broughton Lane, taken 1st December 1962 by the City Engineers and Surveyors Office. 

IMG_20221206_090739.thumb.jpg.738e449e22cf64a8431c3224abd9e76e.jpg

IMG_20221206_091028.thumb.jpg.cf15e265d2e48386f7009dcc13b48131.jpg

Back wall of Goulder Place outside toilets right. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14406&pos=2&action=zoom&id=17225

The rear of Nos. 4,6 & 8 Goulder Place are just visible on a Picture Sheffield photograph taken 24th April 1966 from Clarefield Road. Unfortunately the photograph, because of copyright is only available to view on line by thumbnail.