Jackson Antiques - 227, Abbeydale Road

David Wainwright

Another long shot but here goes..... My great-uncle Harry Jackson owned an antiques shop on Abbeydale Road for a number of years.  I am told it was one of a pair but the location of the second shop has been lost to time.  The first two attached pictures are taken of Abbeydale Road.  The third may be the other shop.  Can anyone advise how I might track down the location of the second shop?

Thanks in advance.

David Wainwright.

`winkel jackson (3).jpg

227AbbeydaleRoad#1.jpg

227AbbeydaleRoadorothershop.jpg

You keep beating me to it, Steve 😄

I was searching Kelly's 1957 when you posted that info, and I have just copied a link to Google Streetview with the intention of posting it here.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 17:08, David Wainwright said:

Another long shot but here goes..... My great-uncle Harry Jackson owned an antiques shop on Abbeydale Road for a number of years.  I am told it was one of a pair but the location of the second shop has been lost to time.  The first two attached pictures are taken of Abbeydale Road.  The third may be the other shop.  Can anyone advise how I might track down the location of the second shop?

Thanks in advance.

David Wainwright.

`winkel jackson (3).jpg

227AbbeydaleRoad#1.jpg

227AbbeydaleRoadorothershop.jpg

This shop was at Highfields opposite the Library.

On 02/02/2021 at 11:25, Richard Ineson said:

This shop was at Highfields opposite the Library.

Richard.... Thank you very much for your reply.  Would you by any chance have any photographs of the shop 

I was at school with David Jackson, the son of the owner of the London Road shop at that time. Would welcome any news of him for the Sharrow Lane School reunion list....if ever it can be staged again. 

On 09/02/2021 at 15:12, fentonvillain said:

I was at school with David Jackson, the son of the owner of the London Road shop at that time. Would welcome any news of him for the Sharrow Lane School reunion list....if ever it can be staged again. 

I'm sorry I 'm afraid I can't help you out with that.  I am only a distant relative to David's grandfather, Harry, and not a local to Sheffield.

Evocative photo. I had quite forgotten the little tobacconist and sweetshop next door to it.  I was also a regular user of the Junior Library at Highfields  (I'm talking 1947 to 1953) where my particular delight was the large number of "How to" books on science and many other things...and a certain Arthur Ransome ! And one other note of nostalgia from that location, the tram stop where us kids queued up under the watchful eye of our teacher before going on nature study walks in Ecclesall Woods. It was directly opposite the antique shop.

23 hours ago, fentonvillain said:

Evocative photo. I had quite forgotten the little tobacconist and sweetshop next door to it.  I was also a regular user of the Junior Library at Highfields  (I'm talking 1947 to 1953) where my particular delight was the large number of "How to" books on science and many other things...and a certain Arthur Ransome ! And one other note of nostalgia from that location, the tram stop where us kids queued up under the watchful eye of our teacher before going on nature study walks in Ecclesall Woods. It was directly opposite the antique shop.

Thank you for sharing your memories

Another long-shot for you good folk of Sheffield to ponder over.  My great uncle also appears to have had a shop on Glossop Road at some point in time.image.png.a553c345d3248f30ecd06e74966ac76f.png

Google Maps takes me here:- 195 Glossop Rd

But I can find no other information about this address.  Can anyone help or point my at the best place to search further?

19 hours ago, David Wainwright said:

Another long-shot for you good folk of Sheffield to ponder over.  My great uncle also appears to have had a shop on Glossop Road at some point in time.image.png.a553c345d3248f30ecd06e74966ac76f.png

Google Maps takes me here:- 195 Glossop Rd

But I can find no other information about this address.  Can anyone help or point my at the best place to search further?

Nothing to show in the 1957 directory:

glossop_1957.jpg

Also checked the 1965 publication

4 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Nothing to show in the 1957 directory:

glossop_1957.jpg

Also checked the 1965 publication

Thank you for taking the trouble to search for me.

I am Harriet (  Harry jackson is my grand father. ) and are now in contact with David Wainwright.  

Fentonvillain, I have the adres and email from David Jackson. he lives in a place near Sheffield.  if you want  his adres. mail me! 

6 hours ago, SteveHB said:

I was looking through some photos I had saved, and what a surprise, the London Road shop 🙂

london_rd.jpg

Steve..... Thank you so much and what a wonderful coincidence that passing the shop is what my dad, were he still alive, would be pleased to see, a Robert's tram car.... 

• Like 1