William Stephenson Exchange Restaurant & Café, 20 Castle Street

David Wainwright

I am reaching out to you good folk of Sheffield for some information and hopefully a photograph of the former Exchange Restaurant and Cafe at 20 Castle Street.  My great aunt, Doris Jackson, was the manageress there before and during the war, living there with her family.  I understand from my uncle that the restaurant and area around it was destroyed in the blitz perhaps by an incendiary bomb.  I realise it is a long-shot, but does anyone have a photograph or any information about the restaurant or can point me in the right direction.

It was first established in premises designed by Gibbs and Flockton architects in 1905, at the top of Exchange street, but these were demolished when Exchange street and Waingate were widened. William Stephenson the original proprietor and managing director died in 1929 leaving £34,730 - as well as family and employees, the Victorial Hall was left £300.

Sheffield Refreshment Houses Ltd acquired the business on 1st December 1934 and redecorated and modernised the kitchen. In 1936 Miss Crocker was the manageress.  They were advertising as catering for wedding receptions.2093277313_Exchange1935.png.67da590b45ee4456613801ca0c6218fb.png

Photo here:  Exchange Restaurant 1936