Where is this church - long shot at identification

togger

Good morning everyone,

Long shot this one: Attached is an old image of the families and I am wondering if anyone can identify the window and ultimately which Sheffield church this is please. Difficult one I appreciate, but quietly confident that someone might just know where this is

Many thanks all

20170307_171313.jpg

If you know the couple that would help. It might have been at the bride's parish church. It should be possible to get a copy of the marriage certificate if you're keen enough.

Hi Hopman thanks for the reply. She lived Sheffield Park and married 15th February 1939. On the 39 register she lived with her parents on Bungay Street just off South Street. I have tried to identify this church but looks like a marriage Cert is in order

Cheers

1 hour ago, togger said:

Hi Hopman thanks for the reply. She lived Sheffield Park and married 15th February 1939. On the 39 register she lived with her parents on Bungay Street just off South Street. I have tried to identify this church but looks like a marriage Cert is in order

Cheers

If the bride lived on Bungay Street, would that not make St. Luke's the parish church?

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15298&pos=39&action=zoom&id=18081

maybe there are some photographs of the church and maybe even the windows somewhere, but there doesn’t appear to be much on PS, other than the above?

D3AF946D-E5E3-41BF-978B-60AF9DAC3571.jpeg

You could try asking  Sheffield Register Office if they have a record for this date and place of the marriage of XXXX.

If they don't, then they can't charge you for a certificate

Hello togger   where did the groom live please?  It's a long way from The Park and probably not the case but the stone work / framing of the window looks very similar to the window that was replaced at St Mary's Church, Walkley.  I have no picture of the old one but below is the replacement.    

st_marys.jpg

On 29/01/2021 at 10:41, togger said:

St Marie's has a video on its website. This is a screenshot 3 minutes in. Could the window on the left be the one?

20170307_171313.jpg

St Marie.png

Mr Hopman, you are a star sir. Many thanks for the image and confirms that the location is St Maries.

Just looking at the census for the 1800s, just cannot believe what the top corner of the script says regarding Deaf, Blind, idiot etc. WOW !!!

Language changes continually.  Unfortunately and description of a condition which is held to be sub-optimal will eventually become an insult, and a new "polite" term developed.  Give it a few years and the new term becomes offensive.  As a good example, see Wikipeda on the name of Down Syndrome  Indeed, Down Syndrome is falling from favour (calling someone a "Downie" is a playground insult), and Trisomy 21 is becoming preferred.  The C19 census just reflects current, accurate and polite terminology for various handicaps.  Whenever researching history you need to be aware of linguistic changes and use the historical interpretation, not react as a C21 reader.