Local sayings from yesteryear!

peterinfrance

On 01/02/2021 at 09:08, leksand said:

Well, tha nur what thought did?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Follerd a s**t cart and thought it was a wedding.

On 28/01/2021 at 18:12, peterinfrance said:

When I was a young lad growing up in Sheffield there were lots of sayings or remarks which at the time I just took for granted but when I think back I never heard them outside the Sheffield area or later in life.  The remarks were mainly directed at children and I can't remember many now but a couple spring to mind.  "Frame Yourself," one of my mothers regular comments directed at me and probably meaning smarten up or stand straight.

Another was "you little buggeroo" needs no interpretation!

Anyway, there are I am sure plenty of Sheffield History members who can add to this and I look forward to having my memory jogged with a walk down memory lane.

Hi peterinfrance, BRILLIANT idea! gives you a good laugh at some of them, something we all need at the moment. Thank you

here are my contributions:-

'A floor short or'a tower block' - ( not all there ) -  that's ones from my sis-in-law

'Na look, si the' - ( the results! of not stopping doing what you were told to )

'Put 'twud in't oil' - ( shut the door ) 

'A rayt gutter snipe' - ( never understood this one!! )

'Tha needs thi Mother wi thi' - ( someone trying to do a simple job but can't )

'Tha's made a rayt bog ole o that' - ( made a real mess of doing a job )

I'm sure there's a load more ...................

He/she is a rayt rough diamond.

He/she is the salt of the earth,

He/she wouldn't know truth if it 'it  him/her in't face.

He/she'd sell his/her Granny fer a tanner.

What a fabulous response  Thanks to all responders so far but I an certain this is just the tip of the iceberg.

have thought of a few more:-

Si thi eer....................now look here

Shut thi gob............close your mouth

Shut thi cake ole....close your mouth

Snap.............................Miners packed lunch

Keep em cumin

“Dunt p1ss up my back and tell me it’s rainin’.......”

Please don’t insult my intelligence, by trying to convince me that something is true/achievable when it’s blatantly obvious to me that it is not!.... 😁

My Grandmother and other people of her generation used to say 'If You sit on cold stones You'll get King Koff'. Years later I had a pal who was a GP. I mentioned King Koff to him and he replied by saying, 'I was at University for x6yrs and I've been a Doctor for nearly 20yrs and I've never heard of King Koff!' Other people often used to say that if You sit on cold stones You'll get Piles!!! To be on the safe sit, please don't sit on anything Cold!!!

Wazzie Worrall.....

Another one from the back of my memory...."He aint wired up proper!" An expression for someone who wasn't a "full shilling"!

16 hours ago, peterinfrance said:

What a fabulous response  Thanks to all responders so far but I an certain this is just the tip of the iceberg.

have thought of a few more:-

Si thi eer....................now look here

Shut thi gob............close your mouth

Shut thi cake ole....close your mouth

Snap.............................Miners packed lunch

Keep em cumin

These aren’t sayings they are just local dialect.

1 hour ago, Paul Worrall said:

My Grandmother and other people of her generation used to say 'If You sit on cold stones You'll get King Koff'. Years later I had a pal who was a GP. I mentioned King Koff to him and he replied by saying, 'I was at University for x6yrs and I've been a Doctor for nearly 20yrs and I've never heard of King Koff!' Other people often used to say that if You sit on cold stones You'll get Piles!!! To be on the safe sit, please don't sit on anything Cold!!!

Wazzie Worrall.....

I've a feeling that is "***king cough" which could be anything from a cold to pneumonia.  BTW, the stones/piles isn't just Sheffield, I was told it at school in the Black Country.

Mester's coming.....

This was heard when a group of kids were up to mischief.  Raised in a post-war council estate, we were all incomers so I can't say where it came from.

We never found out who the 'mester' was, certainly not the bobbies.

No need to rush, the first five gerra prize.  (one of my fathers sayings).

Tha's been int knife box agean  (someone showing unsuspected intelligence).

Tha'll get kinkof (north Derbyshire version of previous post.

On 01/02/2021 at 18:31, peterinfrance said:

Eh up serrie -Killamarsh area (a greeting)

That's interesting. I moved from Sheffield to \Leics. at age 13, and never heard "serrie" (or perhaps "surry") until I reached Ashby-de-la-Zouch. "Loov" was the common appellation in Sheffield, regardless of gender.

returning for a moment to our transatlantic cousins, I suspect that "serrie" or "surry" is their "Siree".

On 02/02/2021 at 10:10, southside said:

Thawontster wesh thi eearoils aht

Thamun gerrit lernt

Thartreightmardy thee

That’s very easy for you to say. 😉

Fuller's earth is a type of clay which as well as its ancient use for fulling was also used as a beauty aid and for household cleaning.  It would have been a familiar site in the first half of the 20C.  Therefore the saying is contrasting "this earth" (the real world) and "fuller's earth" (somewhere else, possibly a mythical place).  I suspect therefore that your mother's saying translates to "I don't know where I am".

• Like 1