The Mikado Drink Shop on Stubbin Lane.

lysandernovo

I wonder if anyone remembers the above? We called it the "drink shop" and it was run by "Aunt" Gladys and her sister. This tiny shop, with a bench seat along one wall,was where we bought our 2 oz of rationed sweets, our ice cream cornets, pop and ,when available, a glass of sarsparilla. Aunt Gladys was a lovely woman who, having one of the first TV sets in Firth Park, would occasionally invite a few of us regular kids into her back room to watch BBC Childrens TV and have ,as a treat, one of her home made ice lolly's.

Possibly number 9 Stubbin Lane?   In 1939 it was a sweet and tobacco shop occupied by David and Fanny Darby and Gladys and Horace Maycock (then an Insurance agent).  By 1957 it was Darby and Maycock, herbalists.

99324266_Kellys1957.png.cc0d98ecab41734f90ff7defac8d696f.png

Gladys maiden name was Darby and she married Horace, then a boiler fireman, in 1925 at St Luke's Dyers Hill.

Yes, it was number 9 and I had forgotten "Aunt " Fanny's name.  I had left the area by 1957 so have no knowledge of them becoming herbalists.} The B and C  Coop was a drapery store. Pegrams a grocer ... we bought our rationed sugar, bacon, cheese and butter from there. Edith Seymour had a stationery/toy shop. Purcells had a really tiny  cobblers shop . I never went inside Crowthers and by 1957 the bank building was only six years old having been built on a reclaimed site which had held an emergency Fire Service water tank . Fenced off and entry forbidden...  but full of sticklebacks!🧐