Old Photo

Guest Genie602

Guest Genie602

Hi all,

I have an old photograph which features my great grandparents along with a group of other men and some children, all I know for sure is that it was taken somewhere in Sheffield, possibly the Norton or Derbyshire Lane area. I can only guess that it might have been a works outing or special occasion of some sort. My G Grandfather was a file cutter so it may be taken outside the factory where he worked. I always thought he had his own workshop but he may also have been employed by a firm. How do I upload the photo onto this site so people can see for themselves?

Thanks

Genie602

Guest Genie602

This is the photo. My G Grandfather is standing on the far left, my G Grandmother is sitting down. If anyone recognises their ancestors or has any idea where it might have been taken I would be delighted to hear from you.

It looks like it could be a public house to me. I'm descended from lines of filecutters. You don't mention the surname?

It looks like you gr. grandmother gave your gr. grandfather her handbag to hold. Have you found them on the censuses?

Guest Genie602

It looks like it could be a public house to me. I'm descended from lines of filecutters. You don't mention the surname?

It looks like you gr. grandmother gave your gr. grandfather her handbag to hold. Have you found them on the censuses?

Hi AndyC

Yes I think you're right about the handbag!

I have found them on all Census from 1851 to 1901. My Great Grandfather was Frederick Morton and my Great Grandmother was Sarah Ann Morton ( nee Outram).

Genie602

Hello Genie602,

I have Emma Morton (born 08/02/1838) as my x3 gr. grandmother who married George Sayles, a filecutter. Her father was John Morton, my x4 gr. grandfather. 1841 gives John Morton at South Street, 1851 has him at Farfield, Pitsmoor.

I'm unsure if it's South Street (the Moor) or South Street, Park. Will check. Different areas but could be related.

Guest Genie602

Hello Genie602,

I have Emma Morton (born 08/02/1838) as my x3 gr. grandmother who married George Sayles, a filecutter. Her father was John Morton, my x4 gr. grandfather. 1841 gives John Morton at South Street, 1851 has him at Farfield, Pitsmoor.

I'm unsure if it's South Street (the Moor) or South Street, Park. Will check. Different areas but could be related.

Hi Andyc,

As far as I know Frederick was an only child, he was born in 1843 in Four Lane Ends,Norton. His mother was Selina Morton, daughter of Mary Morton born 1785 in Hemsworth. There is no father's name on Fred's birth certificate or any sign of a husband for Mary.

Fred did his file cutting apprenticeship with a man called Crookes, also of Four Lane Ends, Norton.

Genie602

Hi all,

I have an old photograph which features my great grandparents along with a group of other men and some children, all I know for sure is that it was taken somewhere in Sheffield, possibly the Norton or Derbyshire Lane area. I can only guess that it might have been a works outing or special occasion of some sort. My G Grandfather was a file cutter so it may be taken outside the factory where he worked. I always thought he had his own workshop but he may also have been employed by a firm. How do I upload the photo onto this site so people can see for themselves?

Thanks

Genie602

It could be out side the Sportsman Harveyclough rd if anyone can find a picture of the pub incidently was mylocal for over 40yrs. skeets

Not a picture, but, maybe useful to someone

Charles DEAKIN Vict. Sportsman's Inn Harvey Clough Road, Woodseats Kelly's 1893

Mrs Amy DEAKIN Vict. Sportsman Harvey Clough Road, Norton Woodseats White's 1911

Mrs Amy OSBORNE Vict. The Sportsman PH 71 Harvey Clough Road, Norton Woodseats White's 1919

Mrs Amy OSBORNE Vict. The Sportsman PH 71 Harvey Clough Road, Norton Woodseats Kelly's 1925

Guest Genie602

It could be out side the Sportsman Harveyclough rd if anyone can find a picture of the pub incidently was mylocal for over 40yrs. skeets

Hi Skeets, I think you could be right about it being the Sportsman pub, if you compare the photo posted by tsavo and mine the window sill is very low down in both pictures, this would have been the right area as they lived in Harveyclough Road. I am trying to find an older photo of the pub to compare.

Genie602