Heeley - history

Robert Pashley

My mother lived in Saxon Road from 1937-52. She wrote her memories of her life and I am looking to add background to what she wrote. I have done that covering the time she lived in Matilda Street before moving to Saxon Road, helped in that research by Vincent and Edmund whom, I expect, are well known to many of you. I am looking for information as follows.

1) when was the Broadfield Road, Clyde Road and Saxon Road area developed with housing and the various small businesses.

2) Does anybody have the Street Directory for the 1930s giving details of the occupants of the houses

3) my Grandfather lived in the house until he was rehoused prior to the properties being demolished to make way for the commercial buildings in the 1970s. Anybody know the year.

The Matilda Street episode is scheduled for the next edition of My Kind Of Town and my aim is to offer the Saxon Road one for future publication. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. Bob Pashley

Hi Robert

Below are screen shots from the 1935 Kelly's Directory of Sheffield and Rotherham. A couple of years earlier than you ideally wanted, but may help with the neighbours names.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but the text is readable.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Saxon Road 1.jpg

Saxon Road 2.jpg

Copley Street.jpg

Clyde Road.jpg

On 27/01/2021 at 17:09, Robert Pashley said:

1) when was the Broadfield Road, Clyde Road and Saxon Road area developed with housing and the various small businesses.

1935 after the Sheaf was rerouted and the land reclaimed, but before the dairy was built.

image.png.966e83fadf09543f0ea299dd33826974.png

Does anyone have details/information about a shopkeeper, Elizabeth Osborne of 36 and 38 Saxon Road, 1870s/80s?? My great grandfather, William Osborne also apparently had shops in the area but I can't find any reference. Thanks in advance. 

Elizabeth had a grocers business at 36/38 Saxon Road with a strong beer wholesalers licence, and in June 1879 applied to extend this to an off-sales retail beer licence. In September the same year she applied to discontinue the wholesale licence.  The beer-off licence was granted on 27th September.

1663345296_Osborne1879.png.928d23fa4f7260e8f27ce1ccc257bd60.png

1209098786_Osborne1879_2.png.0c07dede94ab34a2fb067956f30de473.png

In 1888 William Frederick Pilley was at the beerhouse (Kelly's). By 1891 Mrs Harriet Slater was running the beerhouse at 38 Saxon Road (White's).

A William Osborne had a newsagents and stationers shop at 151 London Road in 1879 (White's) though probably too early to be a great grandfather.  A William Henry Osborne was a draper - 185 South Street (Park) in 1905, a travelling draper based at 24 Norfolk Road (Park) in 1911, and by 1925 was operating from the Sheaf Market (home still 24 Norfolk Road.