Grimesthorpe 1952

dunsbyowl1867

Grimesthorpe depot was opened in 1877 and officially known as Sheffield. Primary duty to provide locos for freight. Closed September 1961. Must have been a busy spot!

Where abouts was Grimethorpe loco and whats there now??

I've seen picture took up at Newhall road with Grimethorpe loco off in the distance so I was guessing it was somewhere near Forgemasters.

Guest Coldstreamer

Grimesthorpe loco depot yard (with wagon sidings etc) was in the area now occupied by the Royal Mail depot. Engines travelled to and from Wicker goods yard between the steel works adjacent to Carlisle Street and of course Upwell Street goods yard was operational as well.

When I was a young lad some of my friends and I went train-spotting and we once sneaked in to the engine shed. We preferred sneaking round Millhouses engine shed though where the more glamorous passenger engines were kept.

Grimesthorpe loco depot yard (with wagon sidings etc) was in the area now occupied by the Royal Mail depot. Engines travelled to and from Wicker goods yard between the steel works adjacent to Carlisle Street and of course Upwell Street goods yard was operational as well.

When I was a young lad some of my friends and I went train-spotting and we once sneaked in to the engine shed. We preferred sneaking round Millhouses engine shed though where the more glamorous passenger engines were kept.

According to my 1960 Ian Allan book, Sheffield Grimesthorpe was shed no 41B. Here are 2 photos taken at Grimesthorpe shed taken in 1928 (reproduced courtesy of National Railway Museum and SSPL)

GrimesthorpeShedcoaling1928_zps4e500f72.

GrimesthorpeShedwatering1928_zps4498e9af