laver family

chrisp1949

Does anyone have any information about Edith Laver my grandmother born in 1887? She married William Nunn in 1915 at Darnall parish church and lived in Attercliffe until her death in 1960s. I believe she had a sister Kate and a brother George.  Her parents were called Robert and Edith (nee Bowen). 

Thank you to all who responded to my earlier question about the Nunn family - I am still seeking more information.

Not sure about "Her parents were called Robert and Edith (nee Bowen)." and born 1887?

Edith was born 15th of either Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr 1889.  The 1939 Register is badly written and transcribed.  Edith's birth was registered in quarter 2 1889 her mothers maiden name was Lee, she was baptised at Carbrook on 15th May 1889, daughter of Robert and Sarah Ann Laver.  Edith's marriage certificate age agrees - she was 26 in 1915.

Her father Robert Laver married her mother Sarah Ann Lee at Wath-upon-Dearne on 14th October 1872 - he was a widowed coalmine engine tender, son of Thomas Laver, also an engine tender.

360445918_RobertLavermarriage1872.png.27f240eddee48819d6f77c46d731b792.png

Father Robert  died aged 70 and was buried at Tinsley Park Cemetery on 6th June 1907.  Sarah Ann went to live with her married daughter Kate Bowen (nee Laver) at 288 Greenland Road (and Kate's husband George William Bowen and family).  Sarah Ann died aged 71 and was buried at Tinsley Park on 11th December 1921.

Robert was in trouble at the Tinsley Park colliery in 1894 - holding a party in the winding engine house:

1508210627_RobertLaverParty1894.png.7a87e2bf367aa7184adfaf296a7ebe6d.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisp1949 said:

Does anyone have any information about Edith Laver my grandmother born in 1887? She married William Nunn in 1915 at Darnall parish church and lived in Attercliffe until her death in 1960s. I believe she had a sister Kate and a brother George.  Her parents were called Robert and Edith (nee Bowen). 

Thank you to all who responded to my earlier question about the Nunn family - I am still seeking more information.

I don't know if it is the same Nunn family but the Nunn family that I know of were the owners of Redgates toy shop. I was told that the shop was started by Councillor Nunn who Married a Miss Redgate and called the shop Redgates his wife's maiden name. My father was a friend of their son Frank Nunn as they were in the same cycling club.

Edmund - thank you for taking the trouble to send this information. The newspaper report is very interesting and you are clearly right about the birth date. 

I think Edith's husband William stayed with Sarah and Robert when he moved to Sheffield  from his family home in Norfolk around 1920 and wonder if there was a link between the Nunn family and the  Lavers or Bowens. There is a suggestion that Sarah was his mother Maria's sister. If so her maiden name would have been Algar.

William Nunn (born in Rushall, Depwade, Norfolk) was in Yorkshire before WW1 - in 1911 he was a waggoner at Cliff Hill Farrm, Doncaster, then by his wedding in July 1915 he was in the army.

1891 census, 14 Southern St. Attercliffe-cum-Darnall, Sheffield.

Robert Laver, 53 Colliery engineman, born Ardsley, Yks.  (In 1901 he gives Silkstone as his place of birth).

Sarah A Laver, wife, 42, born Wath-upon-Dearne.

Horace Laver, son, 14, born Masbro.

Albert Laver, son, 13, born Masbro.

Kate Laver, dau, 10, born Treeton.

Minnie Laver, dau, born Staincross.

Lucy Laver, dau, born Platts Common.

Edith Laver, dau, born Sheffield.

In 1881, there is also Emily Laver aged 10 and Fred Laver aged 8. They are at 2 Orchard Place, Wath-upon-Dearne.

In 1871 census, Osbourne House, Monk Bretton, Barnsley.

Robert Laver, 33.

Ann Laver, 39.

Sarah Laver, dau, 7.

Annie L. Laver, dau, 4.

Emily Laver, dau, Infant.            Robert's first wife Ann, was buried 14 Apr 1872 at Wath-upon-Dearne, aged 41yrs.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. The information is very useful and all adds to the picture.

Would  it be possible to still locate the graves and inscriptions in Wath churchyard? I know the first wife's maiden name was Webster, so could  some of the children who don't appear on1881 census be buried with the mother? Could Fred Laver also have died young as he is on the 1881 but not the 1891 census?

In 1891 Fred was a 19 year old warehouseman living at 47 Evelyn Buildings, Baldwin place, Holborn, London, with another warehouseman - London born Frederick Bethell aged 29. By 9th September 1899 he had returned to Darnall to marry Annie James, and was working as an engine-driver like dad. In 1901 they were living at 7 Calvert Road, and in 1911 at 6 March Street (with the addition of Joseph William Laver aged 9 and Ivy Laver aged 5.