Church of St Thomas, Brightside

Hi there, my 3 x great grandfather, William Jolliffe, died in 1880 and was buried in St Thomas churchyard, Brightside.  He was the Publican at the Railway Inn, also Brightside.  I can see that the church has since had a change of use, and wondered if somebody more local than I am could let me know what the set up is as regards the graves on there, and how accessible the site is for grave hunting if I were to take a trip over in more 'normal' times?

1 hour ago, MartinR said:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4069768,-1.4326797,3a,75y,126.11h,84.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-9a238ii3X8nlVpeUpd94A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

I don't know the place, but the above link will take you to Google maps and seems to show that the graveyard is unmolested.

Thanks.  I guess I am just wondering if the owners are happy for people wandering around its grounds?

• Thanks 1

My grandparents and other relatives are buried in St Thomas' and I've visited several times.  There has never been any problem except the amount of brambles and ivy covering parts of the graveyard.  I'd suggest wearing long sleeved gardening gear, heavy boots, heavy duty gloves and taking secateurs and long handled cutters.  You can park on the site near the building, or plenty by the side of the road. One relative was the twelfth burial in the graveyard, one grave away from the church wall and despite having a copy of the plan (pasted inside the front cover of the register), I've still not found him.

2102070639_StThomasburialrecordforWWilkinson1854.thumb.JPG.c89e1465bc5e0aa39de6cf59f1984ba6.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Edmund, that's all really helpful info and wow - the plans! I'll look at those on a bigger screen - I bet there is lots of my DNA in the ground too! Look forwards to be able to pay a visit when "allowed"...