Sheffield in 1981 - how many of these places do you recognise?

Sheffield History

20 hours ago, paulhib48 said:

Too many really 

Just part of the journey in the decline of the Sheffield we’d all known and loved 

I just wonder what the shelf life of these buildings will turn out to be, I was the landlord’s representative in respect of Fargate Court back in the 1970’s. This was built circa 1960 and was in a terrible state less than 20 years into it’s life, basements constantly flooded, cracks had started to appear in it’s fabric, all windows were single glazed in metal frames, I assume that at least these have been upgraded. I have no idea of your age paulhib48, but hazard a guess that you will outlive many of these buildings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveJC said:

I just wonder what the shelf life of these buildings will turn out to be, I was the landlord’s representative in respect of Fargate Court back in the 1970’s. This was built circa 1960 and was in a terrible state less than 20 years into it’s life, basements constantly flooded, cracks had started to appear in it’s fabric, all windows were single glazed in metal frames, I assume that at least these have been upgraded. I have no idea of your age paulhib48, but hazard a guess that you will outlive many of these buildings.

Well DaveJC , unfortunately the 48 is the giveaway and I’m 73 this year.

Ive also looked at some of the pictures on the 50s thread and can well remember the bombed out buildings in the process of being rebuilt. C&A Modes always sticks in my mind as the tram stop to Firth Park was outside and is a reminder of trips from Totley to visit my grandparents. 

There were temporary buildings at the bottom of the Moor where it had been flattened.

I watched it all being rebuilt but didn’t warm to a single redevelopment, Those blackened substantial buildings that remained and were the essence of the town centre were removed and replaced with concrete and glass .

It constantly annoys me when I’m told by historians ,that are half my age, what a grim, grey and miserable time it was in post war Britain.

I never felt that , nor does anyone that I personally know who lives to tell the tale. They were times of hope.

The streets of Sheffield were filled with warmth and good humour and were filled with people who were proud to be Sheffielders. It was a safe place and people looked after each other. 

The brutalist buildings that replaced the old and familiar seem to reflect the gradual decline in those attitudes.

There’s so much I could add but I’m sure somewhere along the line I’d end up being too controversial 

• Like 2

I tend to agree. Sheffield , post War , was a thriving town...with full employment, purpose and, as you say, lots of hope . Sheffield's politicians, of either persuasion, seemed to want the best for the City and were, perhaps, a little patronising....they tended to know "best". Decades earlier the City had been described as...."dull but well run" By the mid 60s it was still well run but becoming, outwardly, less dull with the opening of night clubs and changes in entertainment... but pubs and clubs were probably at their zenith.

I well remember the tram stop outside C and A Modes..... there you were queueing up for a tram...stood in the middle of the road... protected solely by a white paint line