Hallamshire Maternity Hospital/Home

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

Does anyone know any information about the Hallamshire Maternity home/hospital which was in Chapeltown ?

Is the building still there?

Guest coffee cup

Thanks tsavo, it could well be the building in question. I don't recall ever seeing it, but it looks like this could have been a hospital type building.

The reason I asked about it was I was born there in 1964, and was a little curious to find out where it was and what it looked like.

:mellow:

Thanks tsavo, it could well be the building in question. I don't recall ever seeing it, but it looks like this could have been a hospital type building.

The reason I asked about it was I was born there in 1964, and was a little curious to find out where it was and what it looked like.

:mellow:

HI. sorry but the building in the picture is actually Barnes Hall at Burncross, Chapeltown. For years it was owned and lived in by the Smith family (Wake, Smith & Company - solicitors). It is still a private residence. When I was a child, my grandparents used to live about 3 minutes walk from the old Hallamshire Maternity Hospital in Chapeltown. It was in the Birch Avenue area, which is at the rear of Chapeltown Baths in Burncross Road. I believe it is now a residential home. I shall be over there in a couple of days time, so I will have a look and let you know. It is easy enough to find - providing of course, it is still there. When the (Royal) Hallamshire Hospital opened, it changed its name to Chapeltown Maternity Hospital.

Thanks echo

Me again. I went over Chapeltown yesterday. Sadly, the old Hallamshire Maternity Hospital has been pulled down. If you want to see where it was - Google Earth 'Steven Crescent, Chapeltown'. The site is now all private houses. However, Chapeltown and High Green Archive Centre must have a photo of it. It's worth trying them. I have seen a pic somewhere and if I come across it again, I shall get back to you.