Jump to content

Can you identify these Sheffield city centre back streets from the Four Lions movie?


Recommended Posts

Organgrinder

First one is Debenhams loading bay. never knew what they called that little street.

Second one, I believe, is looking across from Wickes, to Cumberland Street and the entrance to the backs of the shops on The Moor.

Third one back on the road behind Debenhams, looking at their loading bay again.

The last one has me stumped. I would have said it was the same location but it seems much darker than it should be as though it's under a fairly wide bridge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

First one is Debenhams loading bay. never knew what they called that little street.

Second one, I believe, is looking across from Wickes, to Cumberland Street and the entrance to the backs of the shops on The Moor.

Third one back on the road behind Debenhams, looking at their loading bay again.

The last one has me stumped. I would have said it was the same location but it seems much darker than it should be as though it's under a fairly wide bridge.



That's fantastic thank you!
I thought it was the street where Donna Hartley had her fitness studio - is that the one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
deejayone
1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 07.21.19.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 07.20.32.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 07.20.59.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 07.21.11.jpg

 

 

 

1st on the old Rockingham Close, just off Rockingham Street (where Primark now stands):

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.376801,-1.4738505,3a,75y,36.49h,81.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHcjTTm0wGjZkHVqDGv_KjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

2nd, the other end of Rockingham Close (between China Red/the old Plug Box Office, looking at where Primark now stands):

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3765985,-1.473929,3a,37.5y,29.36h,91.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1siBFStLe0xdjt3DKvYbnMPQ!2e0!5s20120601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I believe the other two are in the same area (the old Rockingham Close/now Primark — the same folding gates in the background of each shot)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
9 minutes ago, deejayone said:

1st on the old Rockingham Close, just off Rockingham Street (where Primark now stands):

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.376801,-1.4738505,3a,75y,36.49h,81.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHcjTTm0wGjZkHVqDGv_KjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

2nd, the other end of Rockingham Close (between China Red/the old Plug Box Office, looking at where Primark now stands):

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3765985,-1.473929,3a,37.5y,29.36h,91.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1siBFStLe0xdjt3DKvYbnMPQ!2e0!5s20120601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I believe the other two are in the same area (the old Rockingham Close/now Primark — the same folding gates in the background of each shot)



Awesome thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
deejayone
6 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 07.20.59.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.25.11.jpg

Just this one to suss out now!

Same street (old Rockingham Close).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
11 minutes ago, deejayone said:

Same street (old Rockingham Close).  



Yeah - it's annoying google streets doesn't go that far down

Actually - I wonder if those doors were the doors to Donna Hartley's fitness club?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Organgrinder
2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:



That's fantastic thank you!
I thought it was the street where Donna Hartley had her fitness studio - is that the one?

Yes, It is the same street but The door to Donna Hartley's fitness club was Just round the corner (opposite Dixons shop) between the top view and The Moor.

It had no back door other than a fire escape because it wasn't at ground level.

Donna Hartley took over the Gym which was previously known as The Gateway to Health and I used to train there in the 60's

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
7 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes, It is the same street but The door to Donna Hartley's fitness club was Just round the corner (opposite Dixons shop) between the top view and The Moor.

It had no back door other than a fire escape because it wasn't at ground level.

Donna Hartley took over the Gym which was previously known as The Gateway to Health and I used to train there in the 60's

 

 

Thank you so much!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...