Introducing myself

Guest Genie602

Guest Genie602

Hi,

Recently joined this forum but I have been researching my family history for approx two years. My main families in Sheffield are Morton and Batty. My Great Grandfather Frederick Morton was born in 1843 in Norton, lived and worked in Derbyshire Lane for most of his married life, he had his own File Cutting workshop at 226,Derbyshire Lane. I found out 2 days ago that he is buried in Norton Cemetery. His son, Fred married Florinda Batty. Florrie apparently worked in Abbeydale Laundry - does anyone know anything about this place, I did contact the Industrial museum but no luck.

I have really enjoyed tracing the family history despite the pitfalls of following the wrong person - done this twice.

I think that is enough info for now.

Genie602 :rolleyes:

Guest tsavo

Although there is no Abbeydale Laundry listed in the 1900 directory, there is the Abbey Glen Laundry listed. This was certainly still in business a few years ago. Is it possible she could have worked there?

Link to Laundry listing: http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/pa...8tif&zoom=s

Hi Genie,

sorry about the broken link. This should be a BMP image of the page on Laundry's for 1901

laundrylist.bmp

Guest Genie602

Hello,

Thankyou to everyone who has posted, the link to the Laundry is interesting. I have been having problems logging in but that is now sorted - problem was at my end. I am about to finish with a well known genealogy site and will look forward to many more posts on this forum. Most of my history is based in or around Sheffield. Anyone with any Holt's in their tree may like to compare notes.

Must go now, work awaits.

Thanks again

Genie 602 lol

Albt YOULE laundry proprietor (Abbey Glen Steam Laundry Co.) h. 119 Millhouses Lane, Millhouses White's 1911

Miss Annie E. YULE agent for Abbey Glen Laundry 149 Staniforth Road, Attercliffe White's 1911

I would suggest searching the internet-thingie for "Eric Youle" and seeing if he has any information, if Eric hasn't, God Help us all lol

Guest Genie602

Albt YOULE laundry proprietor (Abbey Glen Steam Laundry Co.) h. 119 Millhouses Lane, Millhouses White's 1911

Miss Annie E. YULE agent for Abbey Glen Laundry 149 Staniforth Road, Attercliffe White's 1911

I would suggest searching the internet-thingie for "Eric Youle" and seeing if he has any information, if Eric hasn't, God Help us all lol

Hi RichardB

That is interesting, I have looked at Eric's website but can't seem to find any info regarding these people. It is possible that they are related to Eric in some way. Has anyone got an e mail address for him so I can send him a message?

Genie602

hi genie

i have also been researching my family tree, and wondered if you have any more info on florinda batty, such as parents names etc, dates of birth etc.

i am a batty, and have got back to the early 1800's with this name, so it would be great if we could tie our familes together.

also, i grew up v.close to derbyshire lane in the 70's, so am happy to give you any help i can with regards to this area (don't know if you are familiar with it or not?)

feel free to email me off list at sarahbatty@btinternet.com

Guest bangtidy

I believe my mums mother used to be a batty or from the batty family? Her names Pat Arnold, she lives in sheffield could this be the same batty i wonder??

I will ask her more when i see her next...

enjoy the site

:)

Guest Genie602

hi genie

i have also been researching my family tree, and wondered if you have any more info on florinda batty, such as parents names etc, dates of birth etc.

i am a batty, and have got back to the early 1800's with this name, so it would be great if we could tie our familes together.

also, i grew up v.close to derbyshire lane in the 70's, so am happy to give you any help i can with regards to this area (don't know if you are familiar with it or not?)

feel free to email me off list at sarahbatty@btinternet.com

Hi Bats,

Will e mail you off list.

Genie602

Guest Genie602

I believe my mums mother used to be a batty or from the batty family? Her names Pat Arnold, she lives in sheffield could this be the same batty i wonder??

I will ask her more when i see her next...

enjoy the site

:)

Hi bangtidy,

Interesting, let me know what she says.

Genie602

Hi RichardB

That is interesting, I have looked at Eric's website but can't seem to find any info regarding these people. It is possible that they are related to Eric in some way. Has anyone got an e mail address for him so I can send him a message?

Genie602

Check out Eric's site for contact at: http://history.youle.info/index.html

Email: exy@youle.info

Guest Genie602

Hi RichardB and tsavo,

Thankyou for the information, I will peruse it after my short holiday (next week), visiting the Lake District.

Genie602

Hi,

Recently joined this forum but I have been researching my family history for approx two years. My main families in Sheffield are Morton and Batty. My Great Grandfather Frederick Morton was born in 1843 in Norton, lived and worked in Derbyshire Lane for most of his married life, he had his own File Cutting workshop at 226,Derbyshire Lane. I found out 2 days ago that he is buried in Norton Cemetery. His son, Fred married Florinda Batty. Florrie apparently worked in Abbeydale Laundry - does anyone know anything about this place, I did contact the Industrial museum but no luck.

I have really enjoyed tracing the family history despite the pitfalls of following the wrong person - done this twice.

I think that is enough info for now.

Genie602 :rolleyes:

Hi, also new here after searching on Google using the few details I know about my family. Given the details you've posted up Genie, we're related. Your father and my grandfather are brothers. Thank you for posting up the photos you've got, it's really interesting to see, can definitely see a resemblance in the photo of Fred (your grandfather).

I know a lot of your posts are old but thought I'd give a post to see what else you've found out about our family - apart from the anecdotes and details from my grandparents, I don't know any family history so this is the first I've come across!

Gemma

Welcome to the Site Gemmalou. Great to find people, places, events from the past - its very addictive.

Hope you find more of interest on here can can contribute more information on all things Sheffield-related.

Hi, also new here after searching on Google using the few details I know about my family. Given the details you've posted up Genie, we're related. Your father and my grandfather are brothers. Thank you for posting up the photos you've got, it's really interesting to see, can definitely see a resemblance in the photo of Fred (your grandfather).

I know a lot of your posts are old but thought I'd give a post to see what else you've found out about our family - apart from the anecdotes and details from my grandparents, I don't know any family history so this is the first I've come across!

Gemma