Do you know where "The Garden Spot" was?

Sheffield History

Any chance you can put a date to this photo, Neil ?

I had a business on Abbey Lane from 1966 to 1997 and I’m struggling to remember this.

When I first moved there it was Fishers Garage, hence the pumps, that are still in evidence there.

The car repairs business moved to the back yard and it has been a succession of businesses,  mostly cafes , from then on.

I think this must have been the first business venture there after Fishers so that would be late 60s or early 70s

Id be grateful for any other information 

Both buildings (stone one and the Garden Spot) were number 20 Mitchell Road.  The 1957 Kellys directory lists Myra K Loveday there, in 1969 it lists Nellie Parker - perhaps in a flat above?  In January 1975 it was shown as the address of George Carr, retired engineer, deceased.

Sorry Edmund. That’s not quite right..

The buildings shown are not 20 Mitchell Rd.

The house next door, the first terrace on Mitchell Rd is No 5. All the buildings on that side of the street are on the odd side of the road.

I believe that the end buildings are considered still to be on Abbey Lane as the motor engineer in the rear of the premises is listed as Unit 2 ,20 Abbey Lane .

I'm guessing that Spoons that is currently where the Garden Spot was is also 20 Abbey Lane.

Whoops! Yes, it is obviously Abbey Lane, I don't know why I made that error.  Possibly my early onset something or other.

20 Abbey Lane:

1904 - 1911 Joseph Evans, Company Secretary (tool firm)

1907 - 1915 George Sampson & Son Auctioneers, Valuers and Estate Agents (run by Harry and Edward Sampson) Harry was secretary of the Norton Show

1920  Abbey Garage - proprietor Walker

1925 Frederick Wood proprietor of Abbey Garage

1920 - 1939 S Higton & Sons builders, joiners and contractors, run by Charles and Thomas Higton. In 1939 Thomas Higton (bricklayer) wife Elizabeth Higton (fish fryer) and son Eric Higton (automobile auto electrician)

1957 J.W.Fisher garage proprietor  and Mrs Elizabeth Higton (fried fish dealer)

1969  J.W.Fisher garage proprietor , Joseph C Morton, and Bettique Hair Fashions

1982 Compulsory winding up of Abbey Garage Ltd

• Thanks 1

Thanks Edmund. That’s all very interesting .

Basically the end shop on Abbey Lane is no 20 and the buildings including the Garden Spot are still considered out buildings of No 20.

I remember that there was indeed a fish and chip shop there before it changed to Bettique Hairdressers with Joe and Betty Morton late 60s

It must have been that Fishers became Abbey Garage but I can’t remember at what stage they moved all the repair work to the back buildings and let the other part go

20 hours ago, paulhib48 said:

Any chance you can put a date to this photo, Neil ?

I had a business on Abbey Lane from 1966 to 1997 and I’m struggling to remember this.

When I first moved there it was Fishers Garage, hence the pumps, that are still in evidence there.

The car repairs business moved to the back yard and it has been a succession of businesses,  mostly cafes , from then on.

I think this must have been the first business venture there after Fishers so that would be late 60s or early 70s

Id be grateful for any other information 

Only other info I can get is it was taken between 1960 and 1979 which doesn't help a great deal I know

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Only other info I can get is it was taken between 1960 and 1979 which doesn't help a great deal I know

I’d sort of worked out it must be between very late 60s and late 70s and Edmunds photos verify that.

I notice on the last pic that the building was Seashells cafe at the time

• Like 1

Incidentally I think the good folks of Woodseats and thereabouts owe a MASSIVE debt to Ray ? Brightman who must have been constantly out with his camera capturing what would have been mundane street scenes but have captured the changes over a significant period and comprise the bulk of Picture Sheffield’s catalogue

• Like 1