Sheffield Ski Village

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 19.30.06.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 19.30.21.jpg

Does anyone know why Sheffield Ski Village failed?
Was it a funding thing or wasn't it popular enough?

Well there are circa 70 in operation throughout the U.K. so there has to be a good reason why a city the size of Sheffield is unable to keep one open. Our son used to love his weekly trip to Sheffield Ski Village in the 1980’s, I recall it being both very well run and attended, answers on a postcard please.

• Like 1

Hia, shamefully! it was finally closed due to utter, sheer VANDALISM. They just couldn't put up with anymore.

Such a pity for those who 'Loved' going there, and a real insult to the 'GOOD' people of Sheffield. 

15 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hia, shamefully! it was finally closed due to utter, sheer VANDALISM. They just couldn't put up with anymore.

Such a pity for those who 'Loved' going there, and a real insult to the 'GOOD' people of Sheffield. 

Some of the slopes still in operation are located in places that I consider to be very similar to Sheffield. I have no idea why the local authority along with South Yorkshire Police have let the vandals and fly tippers win the day, perhaps they should be invited to comment.

Not sure it is council land, I think I read somewhere a housing developer owned the land and was hoping to build a new housing development in the area, but I think it was turned down.

9 minutes ago, Lemmy117 said:

Not sure it is council land, I think I read somewhere a housing developer owned the land and was hoping to build a new housing development in the area, but I think it was turned down.

Council land that was leased to the former Ski Village owners who wanted to develop it into housing at one stage. That was stopped and the Council got the lease back and retendered it out.

Extreme Destinations now have the leasehold I believe, with plans (pre-Covid) of developing an Extreme Sports Destination.

There's a little info at the bottom of the article Im posted earlier in the thread.

It would be so nice to see it 'back in action' and used again in some way. Because as it stands it's a real eyesore, 

seen from a long way off from many places, I can't believe anyone allowing it to stay in such a state.