Do you know where this is and where it was taken from?

Sheffield History

Is it looking down over sharrowvale?

at the bottom centre of the picture above the tree line is that the lescar pub and Riley’s snooker centre?

The church with the question mark is St. Andrew's, on St. Andrew's Road, now demolished, used to go to Cubs there in the '60's.

Nigel L

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/01/2021 at 19:26, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 19.26.06.jpg

We watched the full monty last bit and Realised this is a still from the film!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

We watched the full monty last bit and Realised this is a still from the film!

It is!

Just trying to suss out where this was shot from - it's a real mind bender!

Guest leksand
1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

It is!

Just trying to suss out where this was shot from - it's a real mind bender!

A helicopter or balloon?

I think the same is probably the case for the still of town shot from Woodside.

I think it's too high an angle to be from the Botanic Gardens (edit - also wrong direction!, would need to be from Endcliffe Bank or Ranmoor).

4 hours ago, deejayone said:

I suspect it might have been shot fairly long-lens from the old Hallam Tower.

It’s the wrong side of sharrowvale to be Hallam tower - it’s looking at the back of the lescar pub. 

Guest leksand
19 hours ago, deejayone said:

I suspect it might have been shot fairly long-lens from the old Hallam Tower.

I think you're probably right. Wouldn't have instinctively thought those three buildings aligned, but they did.

sharrowvale.jpg.bfc7c3c01a34cddf89b0c5209c7c0cf8.jpg

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s the wrong side of sharrowvale to be Hallam tower - it’s looking at the back of the lescar pub. 

No that's the front of the Lescar, the snooker place is behind it, and Cowlishaw Road is the hill on the right going up from Sharrow Vale Road. I reckon it is from the Hallam towers.

Nigel L

• Like 1

Guest leksand
12 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

No that's the front of the Lescar, the snooker place is behind it, and Cowlishaw Road is the hill on the right going up from Sharrow Vale Road. I reckon it is from the Hallam towers.

Nigel L

I think that may be a matter of semantics. I don't remember ever going in the Lescar, or coming out, through the "front" facing Sharrow Vale Road. The entrance from Lescar Lane could reasonably be called the front, in which case you are viewing the back and side. Instinctively I'd have placed Hallam Tower rather more easterly than it was (in relation to the viewed area) and might have expected to see the "front" of the Lescar to Lescar Lane from there. Perhaps this is similar to the perception makapaka had.

Beautiful St Andrew's Church. What a sad loss. Sang in the choir when Mr Armstrong was choir master and Keith Robinson was head choirboy.

Rev Robson became the Vicar whilst I was there, too.  But I have to say that the unusual angle from which this photo was taken had me fooled.  I thought it was St Andrew's but couldn't work out anything else. The silhouette looks a bit like another church I went to, Victoria Methodist on City Road.   A real teaser! 

• Like 1

The result of the above in comparison to:

On 09/01/2021 at 15:13, SteveHB said:

S_H.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Obviously Google Earth as a few limitations with angles and clarity —plus differences from things like focal-length of cameras, etc, but I think it ends up pretty close so Hallam Tower is definitely a viable candidate and I'm pretty convinced the photo was taken from there.

• Like 1