Christmas in Sheffield City Centre over the years..

Sheffield History

Nice, but not like Sheffield used to be at Christmas. We were so well known for our displays, coach loads of people

travelled to our wonderful 'CITY LIGHTS', glorious from one end of town to the other. There were fantastic Grotto's

in the stores, always a Santa's Forest somewhere! Loads of open street stalls selling everything you can think of, the

smashing smell of MULLED WINE wafting around, sometime even real Reindeer. The experience all lifted with the

sound of a Sally Army band playing Carols, and groups of children singing. The PEACE GARDENS as they were then

were gloriously decorated. Such happy times.

• Like 1

I remember going to see Father Christmas and loving it

Debenhams was the first one I went to and of course the C&A on Angel Street?

I well remember the gloomy immediate post war Christmases where the City had but a solitary Christmas tree outside the Town Hall. Most Department stores had trimmings with many having Santa's "grotty"( as my Mum called them) Grottos. We always knew we were nearing the magic season when the Co Op milk had fancy bottle tops and the pavement outside Boots  was widened with a wooden construction...so busy was the place that spilling on the busy road was an accident waiting to happen....A time of joy and of hopes for a better future!

Happy Christmas everyone.