George William Basford - Fireman during the Blitz

AndrewBasford

Hello, I'm trying to find out about my Grandfather, George William Basford (b.1908) who worked in the steel industry in Sheffield but was also a fireman. I have no details unfortunately, only a family tale that his deafness was caused by a bomb exploding near the fire tender he was manning. Any information would be welcome. Thanks.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Sheffield Archives -

Sheffield Archives
52 Shoreham Street
Sheffield
S1 4SP  Tel 0114 203 9395    Email archives@sheffield.gov.uk

They hold the Personnel Ledger 1943-4 (ref FSM/17/1), and the AFS Salmon Pastures Daily Log (ref FSM/4/4 ).

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

I'd suggest getting in touch with Sheffield Archives -

Sheffield Archives
52 Shoreham Street
Sheffield
S1 4SP  Tel 0114 203 9395    Email archives@sheffield.gov.uk

They hold the Personnel Ledger 1943-4 (ref FSM/17/1), and the AFS Salmon Pastures Daily Log (ref FSM/4/4 ).

Thank you! I'll do that. It's not something he ever talked about but I remember him still having an old Fire Service greatcoat in the 80s…

On 14/12/2020 at 23:12, AndrewBasford said:

Hello, I'm trying to find out about my Grandfather, George William Basford (b.1908) who worked in the steel industry in Sheffield but was also a fireman. I have no details unfortunately, only a family tale that his deafness was caused by a bomb exploding near the fire tender he was manning. Any information would be welcome. Thanks.

This is a photo of Sheffield AFS/NFS  is your g/father amongst them. My late father is on top row and he was in from 1939 till 1968 stand down with time off in between. I have no idea when or where photo was taken but would have been during WW2

381296738_AFS-NFSHolmesGEtoprow4froml(1a).thumb.jpg.31198aa2040c43152c0a7ae368b39ecb.jpg

This photo might not be Sheffield NFS.  

In Aug 1942 my dad was moved to somewhere ??, letters etc were sent to Beverley and 1944 he was moved/living at Percy St, Whitley Bay, still with NFS. So Photo could be from anywhere

AFS-NFS.jpg