Henry Scott- Williams - George Medal - 1940 Blitz Bravery

Four Sheffield men and two Royal Army Service Corps men were awarded the George Medal in 1941, for heroism during the Sheffield Blitz in December 1940. The George Medal had been instituted by King George V1 on 24 September 1940, equating civilian acts of bravery with those of the armed forces.
There has been little recognition of these six brave men since the award of their medals, partly because of their own modesty.  However I think that with the approach of the 80th anniverary of the Sheffield Blitz, it's time to celebrate these men. Some have them are mentioned in books, notably Margaret Drinkall's "Story of Sheffield at War" - M Drinkall , Paul Licence's 'Sheffield Blitz' and the Star and Telegraph's 1948 publication Sheffield at War but even then gaps and major errors exist.  I have tried to gather whatever I could for each of these men - I think they deserve a thread each on this site - and hopefully others will be able to add further knowledge.

Henry Scott-Williams was born on 6th May 1896 in Altrincham, and before the war was a motor salesman running Holmdale garage at Sidmouth near Torquay, living at Milford Road, Salcombe Regis.

1002286960_ScottWilliams1939Register.png.fc70f5e809b5ce663303564b04a1888f.png

He joined up at the start of the war, having been a Constable in the Royal Marine Police (Special Reserve) living at Sunnylands, St Michaels Road, Torquay with his wife Vera (nee Steer, married 1922) and two of their children Julian and Rosemary.  Their son Guy was killed aged 15 of a broken neck during gym exercises at school in 1938.  In 1940 he found himself stationed in Sheffield, in the Royal Army Service Corps No.6 Training Battalion, who were probably based at Endcliffe Hall.

Sergt. H. Henry Scott-Williams, of Torquay was awarded the George Medal in June 1941.
From the London Gazette:   "CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD.  St. James's Palace, SW 1  17th June, 1941.
The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the George Medal, for conspicuous gallantry in carrying out hazardous work in a very brave manner, to the undermentioned:- No.  T/179928  Acting Sergeant Henry Scott-Williams,  Royal Army Service Corps."
"Acting Sergt Henry Scott-Williams R.A.S.C. who, with his 10 man rescue party, worked in close proximity to a bomb embedded in the ground and rescued alive thirteen people just before the bomb exploded". He worked with his rescue party throughout the night until 11am the following morning. He took wounded through the heart of the danger zone to hospital, then went back to his rescue work, rescuing 35 people in total.

Henry died aged 56 in 1952 in Newton Abbott.