Stink Pipes

Calvin72

This might be a simple one...or not. There are a few modern street structures around which I think are 'stink pipes', that is they release air from the sewers high into the air above our heads. I might be wrong. Recently on Orphanage Road, Pitsmoor, I found what I think is the Victorian version. I've never seen one of these older examples before in Sheffield. So is the modern version a stink pipe? And is the old one the Victorian version? Or are one or both of them something else?

pipe (modern).jpg

pipe (Victorian).jpg

I've never noticed these in Sheffield either but I'll be sure to keep an eye out from now on, some of those in London are quite ornate. 

z1pwjr3qiks21.jpg

I remember them when I was growing up in the Black Country in the early '60s.  One thing to be careful of though, some of the original tram poles looked very similar.

In Sheffield as a kid I remember some of the gas lights (street lights) used to burn all day as well as all night. They were the ones connected to the sewers and were burning sewer gas. I think one of the other threads on this website discusses them.

20 hours ago, John Russell said:

In Sheffield as a kid I remember some of the gas lights (street lights) used to burn all day as well as all night. They were the ones connected to the sewers and were burning sewer gas. I think one of the other threads on this website discusses them.

They burnt town gas but the heat rising dragged the gases out of the sewers. Search for "Webb Patent Sewer Gas Destructor Lamps" on this site (haven't  figures out how to link threads together!)